Sunday, January 27, 2019

I can't seem to do anything right this morning, so who knows what will show up here! Maybe if I just slow down and drink some coffee! I was trying to make hotel reservations for Bill's sisters upcoming stay and got a fantastic rate, booked the room (should have been rooms but didn't catch it until too late) and it shows I have a reservation FOR TONIGHT! It also says I can't cancel it online and the desk clerk at the hotel must be sleeping at 5 am! Anyway, another thing to add to my list of things that must be done today! I also tried to change the reservation and I don't get the fantastic rate I do for tonight.

Bill was still on trach collar when I got there yesterday and the order is to stay on trach collar unless he starts getting into distress. Then he goes back to either CPAP or vent. He did really well, but he's still on a pretty high flow. I'll have to ask the therapist exactly what the flow is. I can't see it well from where I am in the room.

He was in a strange mood yesterday, didn't want to talk, didn't want the TV on, was very docile when it came to meds, etc. I don't know what was going on in his head. They said he had a good night.

He did have several bowel movements, one of them rather large and messy that took 3 of us to clean up, and they were able to get the sample to test for c.Diff, which was negative. The nurse and I both knew it was just from the smell. So, now I don't know what caused the spike in his white count.

He did finally watch some TV late in the afternoon, and then started in on coming home, asking me what time we were leaving and where his clothes were. We had quite a conversation about that and I could tell by the look on his face that he was really angry that he wasn't getting his way. I think this was actually triggered by Dr. Munday saying that he was on the right track to getting to go home, and all he picked up on was going home. He also said he can't call anyone, until I reminded him that he can't talk either. But he said I could call and talk to him and he could listen. He was in a little better mood when I left about 4:45 and hopefully he didn't act out afterwards.

He did do one thing yesterday...he asked for his teeth! So, I washed them up and he put them in. They still don't fit quite right, or maybe it's just that he has been without them for so long, but his mouth looks a little distorted to me anyway. But, he smiled at the nurses and they said they knew something was different. It also makes it a little easier to read lips.

One thing I don't understand about this hospitals and skilled nursing centers, is the cutback on staff on the week-ends. There are still the same number of patients, so don't you think you would still need the same number of staff members on Saturday that you did on Friday? There was only 1 PCA for the entire 20 room wing yesterday. They also have no one assigned to answer call lights. I called for assistance since he had a bowel movement and the PCA came in and emptied his urinal and when I told her he had a bowel movement, she said "Oh, he had a bowel movement?", and took off her gown and gloves, sanitized her hands, and left the room! I thought she was just going to find someone to help her, but after 30 minutes I called again and when she came back I asked if she was going to clean him up and she said she had heard what I said, it just didn't penetrate her brain and she had moved on to another room. After he was clean I told him I was going to get some lunch, and who do you think I ran into...yep, the PCA. I think she was concentrated more on lunch than patient care!

I think Bill is becoming somewhat depressed and who wouldn't be after so long in the hospital, so I have a favor to ask of all of you readers. His birthday is coming up on Feb. 23. I think it would cheer him up to receive some cards. Of course, if you don't want to wait that long, just a get well card, or a note of encouragement would certainly help. The address for the hospital is:

William Haven
Baptist Memorial Hospital
Restorative Care Room #4237
6019 Walnut Grove Rd.
Memphis, TN 38120

 Thought you might also like to see a picture of this handsome guy with his teeth in!

That's all for today. Now on to the next thing. It's almost time to get ready to go, but it's Sunday and traffic will be smoother. I'm also feeling a little rebellious this morning about getting up and out so early. I know he is well taken care of, I just hope he slept last night and is not giving them any trouble this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment