Tuesday, January 15, 2019

After 45 days Bill was moved to Restorative Care this afternoon! A bed opened and all of the drs. had signed off on it, so off we went. He's a little confused and seems to think that since this looks more like a regular hospital room he will be able to get up. I told him he could not get up unless the nurses or therapists got him up, so they may have an interesting night.

He didn't sleep at all last night, and Lizzy said she had tried to call me. But, that was when my phone crashed, and the voicemail did not come through until tonight! He was wanting his phone so that he could talk to me and she wanted to know if his phone was there. She saw his white board in the bag I leave in the room and he wrote like crazy. Caleb stopped me on my way in this morning to show me what he had written. He had taken a picture of it. 

He wanted to know again what happened to him and how long he had been there and we both had a little cry. I'm not sure why he cried, if he was just overwhelmed by everything or just what, but I think he needed to do that. 

 Lizzy looked at his meds to see when his night meds had been given, since they were given early on Sunday night and he slept very well. She saw they were given a little later and that Dr. Williams has discontinued the Respiradol. That, along with the Seroquel were what worked. He had been given xanax twice, along with the Seroquel and some oxycodone, and nothing worked. Plus he only slept for a short time this morning. It was decided to double the dose of Seroquel. I don't know how much he was getting of it to begin with.

I was given a short tour of the floor this afternoon and met our social worker. I'll meet our nurse manager in the morning. I was very impressed with Pam, the social worker, along with Pam, the head nurse who was taking care of Bill today. I wasn't as impressed with the aide, and would like to kidnap any of the aides in transplant. She wasn't really happy when Bill asked for a bedpan. I was thrilled he asked for a bedpan! He could have just gone in the bed as he has been doing, so to feel the need to go was a major accomplishment!

I stayed a little longer tonight to try to get him settled in some for the night. I could tell that he was tired. I turned off his light and closed his blinds, after showing him that it was dark. He did keep the TV on. And, I let everyone know that he thought he could get up. Pam said that as soon as the Seroquel came up she would give it to him so that he could start winding down. She didn't want to leave it for the night nurse.

He's still in isolation, but I can leave my gown in the room and not have to change all the time. They mainly use the plastic gowns and there are a few of the nice cloth ones that keep you warm and don't make you sweat like the plastic ones. We'll see if they left me one in the morning.

So, tomorrow will start all of the evaluations by the therapists. Bill has asked several times how long he will be there and all I've told him is that it is up to him. It all depends on how hard he works to get weaned from the vent and get the trach reduced and then removed and then work on swallowing. He asked me to bring him a hamburger tonight. I think it is more just a memory about being in a regular hospital room and eating. He also wants his pajama pants, but for the near future, they will stay home.

So, that's it for today. I'm tired and really want to go to bed, but one of my favorite shows comes on at 9. I'm hoping to make it until it's over, but I don't know if that will happen. The cats, or should I say cat, was bad all night and I was up and down. Didn't really get to sleep until 2 and then up at 4:45 and out the door a little after 6. 

I'll let you know how tomorrow goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment