Friday, January 18, 2019

I was met at the nurses' station by a very grateful nurse and respiratory therapist! Bill forgot that I was going to be late and even after reading the message I left him, he insisted they call me and find out where I was and how long it would take me to get there! His aide came in and said "See, I told you I called her and she said she was on her way", all the time winking at me. He had written help and his name and my phone number and help again on the white board! 

His nurse said he didn't sleep as well last night so we talked about timing of the meds. She thought giving them later in the evening would be better, but I told her they had tried that in ICU and he wouldn't go to sleep until 3 am and then want to sleep all day. I asked Kim from Dr. Edwards office about it and she wants to keep it at 6 to see if it will regulate by itself. Hanan, the nurse came in before I left and said that she checked to see when he had been given the meds last night and they gave them at 4:30, so she was going to wait a little longer to see if that helped.

Bill had had an accident in his bed and pulled some of the dirty padding out himself and put it on his tray, but his gown and legs were covered and he had gotten some on his hands. He was quite a mess, but Tee and I got him cleaned up. And, yes, I know that's not my job. But, I was already gowned and I just helped him turn and held him steady. He was much better at turning and moving today than he had been.

As soon as we got him settled, therapy came in. He sat on the edge of the bed for 7 1/2 minutes. I told Chris that I had told Bill that he (Chris) wasn't going to take no for an answer about sitting in the chair today so he nodded and into the recliner he went. He was supposed to stay 2 hours and he started griping after 30 minutes. He did get a little reprieve since he needed to use the bathroom again and it's easier in the bed.

I asked the respiratory therapist, yesterday and today it was Diane, what numbers to look at on the vent to see what was being lowered to wean him. She showed me which one and that when it got to 4 they would then switch him to CPAP for at least 48 hours before putting him back on the trach collar. I think the number we are watching is the number of times per minute the vent breathes. It was set on 15, which is what it had been in ICU, but she lowered in to 12 today. I don't know the increments they use, I think it probably just depends on the patient.

Bill is really wanting to eat and drink. He also wants to know how long he will be there. I know it's frustrating for him not to be able to communicate easily and he still doesn't remember anything about what happened. He does know where he is now and he asked me today how much this was costing us. I told him insurance was paying for it and he didn't need to worry about the money, that was my job!

Late this afternoon I finally got him interested in a puzzle book, but he was still a little antsy and I could tell he wasn't concentrating well. He wanted to know where his rings were, and his watch, wallet and keys. And, even though we've been over this all before, I told him again and showed him that I had his rings on my key ring. Usually I wear them around my neck, but I couldn't fasten the chain this time. Old fingers I guess.

I had one of the telephone conversations with Mayo that I had been dreading. Stephanie had called, and Memphis had been in contact with them. She asked several questions and we then decided that as much as we hated to do it, we needed to switch his care to Memphis. I don't think Bill could make the trip anymore. She said to tell him that she and Dr. Yip and Dr. Patel were all thinking of him and to give him a hug. Of course, by this time I was in tears and thanked them for giving him back to me 6 1/2 years ago. She said it was my care as much as theirs, that he and I were a good team and worked together. As much as we didn't want to do it, I think it's for the best. And if anyone is wondering what the other call to Mayo I had been dreading was the one that would tell them he had passed away.

Dr. Mullinax came by this afternoon and said that Bill had been discussed in the transplant committee meeting. I still think they can believe that he has recovered as much and as fast as he has. And it has been fast, even though it's be 6 weeks with most of it in ICU. They didn't expect him to survive to begin with and, if you remember right, thought he should pretty much go straight to hospice. So, he's teaching some lessons in humility I do believe, and to never underestimate the will of a patient to survive.

That's it from today, I think. There won't be any therapy done over the week-end, but the nurses may put him in a chair for awhile. It does him so much good to get off his lungs. I may have to work that angle on coming home faster. 

We're supposed to get some snow tomorrow night and it's supposed to get really cold by Sunday morning. I think I am coming home from the hospital mainly to keep an eye on the house (power) and the cats. I don't think it's supposed to be enough of a "storm" for us to lose power, but who knows. For those of you in the path of this storm, and the one coming behind it, stay safe.

Oh yes, my friend from church is responding to questions! They have started dialysis and her blood pressure is stabilizing! So, it looks like my prayer for a peaceful transition got the "not yet" answer, and I'm glad. She's had so many people, including children from church, praying for her to recover, those are the ones that have been answered.

OK, that's it. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment