Wednesday, January 16, 2019

I'm really tired again tonight, although it just really hit me. I've been busy since I left the hospital, Walmart, gas, put groceries away, feed cats, feed me, clean litter boxes, take trash out and to the curb, look for Bill's other glasses. And now that I have finally sat down, I hope I can remember everything from today.

Bill did not sleep at all again last night and Emily got a call from the hospital about 6:15 this morning that they had to restrain him. I don't know why they didn't call me, but she did as soon as they hung up.

He was on the vent, which is the plan, but I thought he was supposed to be on CPAP mode instead of full vent. But his respiratory therapist, who I loved at first sight, said they don't do the CPAP mode, it's vent or trach collar. He was still breathing a little fast so she didn't want to take him off the vent until he could slow his breathing. She finally put him on it and he had a hard time keeping his sats up consistently so she put him back on the vent. We think that he is just so tired that it took too much effort to breathe deeply. His therapist, Ms. Bettie, is 70 years old and has worked at Baptist for 45 years! She's a gem. She told me that as soon as she walked in the room and I was there she knew she would like me. She does like family members who know what's going on and can give some history. 

Occupational therapy came in and evaluated Bill's strength in his arms and shoulders. I told her that he was fully self-sufficient when it came to dressing and care before this and she was impressed.

Physical therapy then came in and they got him to sit on the side of the bed for a bit. But he was a bit hung-over yet from the meds that didn't put him to sleep and he finally told them he was going to lay down and just leaned over. So, they got him back to bed but put it in chair position. They also said that if he wanted to get up into a chair the staff could move him with the overhead lift.

When Dr. Williams nurse came in I told her about the sleeping meds and she said she would write the order to add the Respiradol back. His nurse was going to give them to him about 6 so they would get to work early. But, he was sleeping really hard when I left at 4:30, so hard that I couldn't wake him, so I don't know if she did it then or not.

I asked Dr. Edwards' nurse who wrote the order that the catheter was not supposed to be removed without an order and told her that Dr. Morris, the urologist, had signed off on him. She said she would check with Dr. Edwards and Laura, Bill's nurse today, said they were going to try the condom catheter again, but if he's going to be knocked out, he may not realize he has to pee. Something to check on first thing in the morning.

So, it was a day about the way I thought it would be, evaluations and such. I did notice when Bill's restraints were removed that he had a huge bruise on his right wrist. I brought it to the attention of his nurse and the social worker. We are all pretty much in agreement, that since there was no corresponding bruise on the left wrist, he had actually done it himself by reaching for his left hand. I saw him doing this after I got there and I think he was trying to get it to his left hand to untie it. Laura may have decided to have the wound care nurse look at it. She came in to evaluate the places where the ICU staff had placed precautionary pads, but he was sleeping really well so she didn't want to disturb him.

That's how the day has been. I did find out that a dear friend from church has had a heart attack and stroke and she is on life support with her kidneys shutting down.The outlook is pretty grim and they were planning on an EEG to see if there was any brain activity. I'm sure her family is devastated because she has always been very healthy and active. But, my prayer was for the end to be peaceful and for her to hear the words "Come home, my good and faithful servant". 

OK, enough for tonight. I'm going to finish my drink (just Diet Coke), set up the coffee for the morning, and head for bed. Mouse is going crazy racing through the house and sliding on empty boxes that he has flattened. Cat is laying behind me on the back of the recliner, out of the danger zone. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment