Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Yesterday was a busy, busy day...at least the morning. When I got to the hospital, he nurse from the night said that he had a great night, only woke up once at 1 and went right back to sleep.

He was awake when I got into the room and started talking immediately. He wanted coffee or tea or water. Of course he's still not getting anything by mouth, but it shows he's more aware again. At one time he wanted to just pour coffee into his trach since that is what is stopping him right now from getting anything.

The speech therapist came in early and put the speaking valve on and he wore it for 30 minutes without his oxygen dropping, talking all the time. She also gave him some ice chips to check his swallow and after the first few that he just let melt in his mouth, he started really swallowing. She told his nurse she wanted that done every hour, and not by me, by the nurse, and at 4:30 when I left, it still hadn't been done again. This nurse, while very nice, is one of the lazier ones, and she's not lazy, she just likes to sit and monitor at her station.

Physical therapy also came in and got him in the chair using a stander. He was only standing about 10 seconds, and that wore him out. She also worked his arms and legs. He then complained for the entire 2 hours that he wanted to get back to bed. He kept saying his back and stomach hurt and I told him it was because he was using muscles he hadn't used for a long time. While he was in the chair the picc nurse came in to change the dressing on his picc line and I ran down to get some lunch. When I got back, and I brought the food back with me, I could hear him yelling help before I even got to the room! All because he wanted to get back to bed. He finally made it through the 2 hours, but I thought I would go crazy before it actually happened!

I asked Dr. Threlkeld how long the isolation would last since they aren't giving him any more antibiotics and he said through the admission is usual. So, I guess it's until he gets moved since that is considered a different facility. So, we continue to gown. Dr. Fox said he sounded OK and to just keep it up. He hasn't needed bronched since the 4th and he hasn't been on the vent since the morning he pulled his collar off. But, his concentration is still pretty high. Maybe today they'll try weaning him again.

Occupational therapy came late in the afternoon and said she was going to wait until today to work with him, because she was also going to work with the physical therapist to getting him standing more. His legs are very weak, although when he does certain things with them in therapy she can tell the strength is there. So, that will hopefully happen this morning. He's fresher in the morning.

He put his speaking valve on in the afternoon and told me a very convoluted story about something during his time in the military. He was combining being in Germany with being in Japan. He must have been dreaming about something while he was napping because that's the first thing he started talking about.

Dr. Morris, the kidney dr., has signed off. His kidneys are functioning fine and he doesn't see any need to keep the constant monitoring up. Of course if the function should fall off, he will again be brought in. 

Oh yeah, they tried the condom catheter and he couldn't pee so they inserted the other one again. But, I would rather they do that than straight cath him (use a catheter) every 6 hours. It took a while for the sensation to come back in Florida so they will try again. They may also just tie this one off to see if the sensation comes and then open it to let it flow.

So, that's it, a very busy morning. I came home a little earlier than usual and got some laundry done. The weather is going to be dicey this week-end so don't know just what my plans will be as far as back and forth or just staying. I'll know more closer to the time. I also have a sore spot in my mouth, like I've bit my cheek. And it's right where the wire is on my partial plate. I don't think this far out from getting it that it would be from that, but who knows. It could be that I did bite it and don't remember, or from this cold that I keep trying to get. Anyway, my mouth is really sore on 1 side. Just something else to add to the list of things to watch.

All for this morning. The 30 minute difference yesterday made a big difference in traffic, so I don't want to piddle around too much this morning (although this isn't really piddling). But, I would rather have less traffic, and I think I need to stop and get gas before hitting the road. So, all for this time! Have a great one!

 

1 comment: