Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Yesterday was a much better day than the day before. Bill was awake and in a very good mood when I got there. He was still doing a lot of coughing and getting gunk out and it was really awful looking. It's mostly thick, sticky yellow. And it's so slimy that it's hard to wipe up. OK, so now I've ruined your morning coffee and possibly your breakfast!
 
He didn't want to work with therapy until I reminded that the harder he worked with them, the faster he could get out of there, so grudgingly he did. His blood pressure was better, but his stamina was not. He did sit better and he did stand his 3 times, but not as long as before. They had him get out of bed on the side facing the window so that he could look out, but he kept focusing more on his feet.

Since he was being bronched they didn't move him to his chair, deciding to wait until after if he was awake enough. The bronch was scheduled for 1:30 and about 12:45 Dr. Munday came in and said they would be bringing the scope up shortly, so they were going to do it bedside instead of taking him to the lab. I got an alert on my phone shortly after that that it had been changed to 3:30. I don't know if they were busy elsewhere with other drs. or what the reason for the change was. But, about 3, in walked 2 of Bill's favorite respiratory therapists from downstairs, Crystal and Krystin! He was really happy to see them, and they were amazed at how good he looked. The procedure only took about 15 minutes and when I got back to the room he said he didn't go to sleep. I looked at his nurse and she said he was awake through the entire thing, they gave him a little versed to keep him calm and he was awake through it all! He was still coughing some but not coughing out as much as before. He was also asking me what the next thing was going to be and what we were going to do today, so he wanted to be prepared for it. Of course with his bad memory, he wouldn't remember what I told him anyway.

While he was getting the dressing changed on his PICC line yesterday morning, I spoke to one of the chaplains about meals. Because of the distance I drive I would be able to get 2 meals a day. These are just like the patient trays and would come when patient meals are delivered. I opted to just get the lunch tray since I can eat here at home before I leave and I always have something here to eat at night, even if it's just a frozen dinner. And I've been getting the ones that have more protein. They are pretty good, although whipped chipolte sweet potatoes are not to my liking! Anyway, the lunch trays will start today and yesterday I was given a voucher for $6.00 to cover lunch. So, my burger, onion rings and drink only cost me $.98! I don't know how the meal delivery will affect Bill since he wants to eat so badly. I may have to tell them not to bring them if he gets upset and just eat in the cafeteria. I had quit bringing my lunch back to the room so he wouldn't get upset. But, we'll see today how it goes. I also don't know if I will get to choose between the hot and cold entrees. I know there are some hot ones I won't like, especially the fish ones, so we'll see if they come in when they pick up the breakfast trays this morning to ask my choice.

Chaplain Joseph came by for the first time since we were moved and had prayer with us. He is such a nice man I really enjoy visiting with him. Hopefully he'll be able to come more often.

Bill did not get upset when I told him I was leaving yesterday. He was still in a pretty good mood from the versed. He told me he would behave himself, and hopefully he will. Kayla told me they would deal with whatever he did. We had another student nurse yesterday and she was really sweet, but it must be her first year of clinicals. She did do one of his meds wrong. It's not supposed to go through his tube, but under his tongue. It works better on an empty stomach, but since he had been NPO since about 5 am and she gave the meds a little after 9, it should be OK. The student he will have the next 2 days is named Brianna (spelled just like our Brianna) and she was really nice. She did her initial assessment yesterday afternoon and said one of the nurses we had last week told her she had to have us, we were just so sweet!

That's about it. It is very cold again this morning, yet still warm compared to a lot of places. If I didn't have to go out I wouldn't. I bumped the heat up last night, per an article by a heating/air service, and it still ran almost continually. But, it's not as cool in here as it was last night before I raised it. I'll probably leave it up today and see how warm it is in here when I get home. It's supposed to warm up nicely today and the rest of the week, back up to the 50s and 60s.

So, stay warm and inside if you are in the frigid areas. And stay cool if you are where it is warm. See you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment