Saturday, February 8, 2020

Not really much to tell about today. It was decided to keep him on CPAP for the week-end and try going back to trach collar on Monday. They did another chest x-ray this morning and Stephanie said that it looked a little better in the right lung. The one thing that has changed is the color of his secretions, and the respiratory tech was even concerned about them. They are usually thick and sticky and a yellow brown. Today they are a little thinner but grey green. What is in the collection jar actually looks like a think pea soup. I asked the nurse about it and she thought it could be from medication, but he's not on any new ones and has been off antibiotics for about 10 days.

He slept most of the day again today. I do know that he didn't get his Seroquel until almost 9 last night, which usually makes him sleep most of the morning. I'm hoping that he is just needing the rest to fight whatever is causing the extra secretions.

Cindy from Dr. Edwards office came in and apparently the fiasco of the sling has gotten back to Dr. Edwards. She told me that he is still the attending even though this is considered a separate hospital and that if there are any problems to find one of them, meaning one of the nurse practitioners. She said I know where they can always be found! I told her it was taken care of within an hour, but she said it shouldn't have happened in the first place. And, the nurse that I said probably didn't like me a whole lot that morning just happened to be his nurse today...and she's a wonderful nurse. She was very good with Bill and said that she was so glad they let her have him today.

One thing that Bill has been refusing is the mouth care. I think the wash they use has a little antibiotic in it that tastes bad. I told her when she was getting his meds ready this morning to not give him the option, just tell him it was time to do it. And that's what she did and he opened his mouth to get it over with! The respiratory techs are doing the same thing. If they know that he won't like what they are doing, usually the bed percussions, they just come in and tell him it's time and set the bed. Once it starts they can tell him it only lasts 10 minutes and he will look at the clock to see what time it is. And, he's usually asleep before it's over

When I went to get lunch, I told him I was going and he went back to sleep. I decided that I was going to eat in the cafeteria today instead of taking it back to his room and he was getting agitated by the time I got back. And, then he promptly went back to sleep. It helps him to know that I'm there, but it sure is tiring when all he's doing is sleeping, even though I have things to do. 

I came home the back way today. It was a nice change not to be in all the traffic on the interstate. It took a little longer, but it was a pretty afternoon and a nice drive. May have to do it more often!

One of the nurses said today that maybe when he woke up, he would be a new man. I told her that he was the same old man when he woke up! Then she said maybe I would be a new woman tomorrow when I woke up. We then got on the subject of the rapture and new bodies in heaven! Sometimes conversations veer off into strange directions!

So that's it for today. Maybe tomorrow he'll be more awake, or at least awake for a longer period of time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment