Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Yesterday was a good day, compared to the last few. Bill was awake when I got there and all of his numbers look good. He was changed over to SIMV mode in the morning, and as I suspected, when Walter looked at Bill's numbers to make the switch and decided he didn't like them, was right after he had been cleaned up from using the bathroom. He was actually more interested in Daytona than coming  back in and checking on him. I only know this because the volume on his phone was pretty loud. And, I really wanted to snap at Stephanie when she came in. All she said was that he needed to not get so anxious and to slow his breathing down because she was trying to get him off the machine. How many times do medical people need to be told that someone has had a stroke in the past and doesn't remember things. He's also been in the hospital 3 months and is rather overwhelmed. Even his nurses are asking him if he "needs" a Xanax. I just watch his numbers and when they start to go up, or he seems a little aggravated, I tell them to give him one. 

He took a little nap, but didn't sleep long after getting one at lunchtime yesterday. He worked with both PT and OT in the afternoon. He didn't want to do his leg exercises until I told him he couldn't come home until he got stronger. And his legs have now gotten very weak. But, when OT came in, he did all of his arm exercises without any help and then did the clothespins with each hand. Of course when he uses his left hand, which is his weaker one and everything is in/on his left hand/arm, it's harder to use, he tries to cheat. But, she didn't let him.

He did have a tummy problem yesterday. He told me it hurt and he had several bowel movements. Usually he's a once a day guy, but there were several, and they were all very liquid. They are usually soft from the liquid feed, but these were not just soft. His food hasn't changed and he's been on the antibiotic for long enough that it shouldn't have done it. That, by the way, is scheduled to end tomorrow. So we'll see how it goes then. 

His secretions are still thin now instead of the thick sticky ones so the antibiotic has done it's job. And, Dr. Muir told me that his blood count was 26 yesterday morning, so he did get a pretty big boost from the unit he got. He'll continue to monitor his numbers and give him more if necessary.

I came home and bought a few groceries and by the time I got them put away, fed the cats and fed me, I was exhausted. It was a case of I should be doing...instead I was in bed by 8. I can tell the weather is going crazy again, raining when it wasn't supposed to be, and I'm working on a 3 day headache. It's all sinus related because my nose is running like crazy, and the headache is not extreme. But, it's one that nothing is touching.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with my cardiologist. I'm not going to the hospital first, I'm getting the oil changed in my car first thing. If I can get out of town by 9:30, I'll be fine. And then I'll go to the hospital. I haven't told Bill yet and I'll have to talk to the staff to make sure he gets his Xanax with his morning meds. And, I'll miss his doctors, especially Stephanie. But, I need to do it this way instead of leaving early to get the oil done. My reminder light came on last week and I have been keeping an eye on the pressure to make sure I'm not pushing it too close. I just hope Dr. Morrow doesn't mention reducing stress as she usually does. I don't know if I would smack her or just get up and leave. Why do they do that, when they know you're dealing with a stressful situation? Do they think we don't know we're stressed? I do what I can, but other than divorcing Bill, disowning the kids, and moving to a cave, there isn't much else that can be done! OK rant over.

On a happier note to end this, my daughter's oldest daughter, Brianna, got engaged Sunday morning after church! Although they knew they were getting married, she didn't know that he had gotten "the ring" and was pretty surprised. So, that puts a bright spot in all of this that we're going through.

All for today. We'll see how it goes, maybe back to CPAP!

No comments:

Post a Comment