Saturday, June 22, 2019

I don't know why I start thinking it's the week-end when Tuesday rolls around! I guess it's just a quirk of retirement! But it makes the weeks seem even longer!

We've had a fairly good week. We're both feeling better and Bill has done a little more on his own. I still can't get him back on his treadmill, but he's emptied the small trash cans and is getting his own drinks from the kitchen, unless I'm heading that way.

I've felt better the last 3 days now since I've felt in a long time. I guess the antibiotics were what I needed. I've had some energy that I hadn't had. Part of it could be that we've had a couple of sunny days with no rain. Or, it will rain in the night but be sunny in the day. My foot also has stopped hurting as much. I've been able to wear regular slipper for the last couple of days and cut way back on the Ibuprofen. Maybe it is finally healing.

We've actually gone out to eat now a couple of times. The first was just here in town and to a restaurant not too far from the house. Bill ate quite well and may have eaten more than me. 

He had been watching the ads for Olive Garden and Red Lobster and said the food looked good and he liked everything they were showing. I told him he just had to say the word and we would go. We've had gift cards to several restaurants from his sister and husband. So we decided to have a date yesterday (Friday). But, before I get into that...

There was what turned out to be a minor crisis with Ryan and his truck. He called me from a strange number and his truck had broken down on the side of the highway about an hour away. He had been heading to a different town to check on a job and the transmission went out. So, called a wrecker service owned by a friend of Bryan's and $344.76 later, finally got him home. The next morning he got under the truck before having it towed to a shop (his insurance would cover that one) and saw that the hose had split, leaking all of the transmission fluid out. So, it was a relatively minor fix, but it took their grocery money. Now, back to the date yesterday...

When Ryan called about not having money for food, we decided that we would just buy them about a week's worth of groceries and take it to them since we were going kind of that way anyway. So, I loaded all of the oxygen supplies into the car and then went to the grocery store, then came back and picked Bill up and headed to Ryan's. We got the food delivered and put away and visited with them for a bit. By that time it was early afternoon and Bill was getting hungry. We knew that we were going to eat a late lunch/early dinner so we loaded back up and headed for Jonesboro. Decided we would go to Olive Garden and when we got there I discovered that I had gotten everything for his oxygen tanks except the key that opens the top. I thought it was in my purse, but it was in the matching tote...at home! So, we used the battery powered one that we plug into the car. It was no big deal, just that he wouldn't have his walker. But, the hostess seated us fairly close to the door and Bill walked it pretty well without getting too winded. (I guess the antibiotics worked on him too). We both brought part of our meals home. Bill again ate more than I did, and I was totally miserable on the way home and headed straight for the bathroom, leaving Bill to fend for himself getting into the house. But he was pretty close behind me and he did it without oxygen, but put it on as soon as he got in. He ate some leftovers from the night before for dinner, but I could only manage a few bites. But, we did split the chocolate cake we brought home.

Maybe now that I've gotten him out twice, he'll want to go more. He's agreeable to using his walker when we are out so that makes it easier. And Joe and Barb, our neighbors, are using our wheelchair. She had surgery on her foot last week.

We've had trouble with some dogs in the neighborhood. Someone is raising some white German Shepherds and there have been 2-3 wandering around, getting under the house. I know part of it is the heat, and they are friendly, but I'm not fond of big dogs I don't know. Comes from a childhood bite on the face. Anyway, I put something on facebook about it and another friend from around the corner called and said that she knew where they lived.  So, we both called the non-emergency police number since you can't call animal control directly and reported them. I later found that Joe and Barb had also called about them. I never did see animal control in the neighborhood but I haven't seen the dogs anymore. There have been a couple of other strays around, so we are going to fence in the patio. The type of fence I want to use the cats will still be able to get through, but not dogs. I'm not real sure if the possum will fit but I haven't seen him for awhile now. Ryan is going to come and do the fence for us. We went to buy the pieces the other day, but Lowe's doesn't have the kind I want anymore and the other the have that would work is too expensive. But, I've found some from Tractor Supply. It's online only so I can only go by the picture and have to order it. It may have to wait until next mornth.

We had a little storm come up yesterday. We got a lot of wind before the rain and when I went out to look at the sky (weather junkie that I am) there was a pretty good size branch laying up against the house. I'm not sure if it came from our tree or the one in between our house and the neighbor's house which loses branches like crazy. I suspect ours with the way it was laying. It just missed the dining room window, but it did miss it and that's all that matters. It's light enough that I can pull it to the curb myself (I think). If not I'll see it Bryan will come and get it. 

I think that's it. Happy Summer! It's already hot, supposed to have heat indexes above 100 today so we'll probably stay in the the most part.

No comments:

Post a Comment