Saturday, June 29, 2019

I really don't know what to say this week. That should tell you that it's been a pretty boring week.

I did have to have a little discussion with ExpressScripts about Bill's insulin. They want us to switch to home delivery which will save us about $50 a year. I may have told you this before, but the story now continues. I called them to find out why they keep cancelling one or the other of the 2 insulins he takes. They told me that the prescription has to specify how they are to be taken before they will fill both of them. So I found out exactly what they want the prescription to say and then I called the dr. I talked to the nurse who handles the scripts and told her what they needed and that they had tried to contact them. She said they had not contacted them, even leaving them a message because it didn't show up on Caller ID that they had called, nor did they get a page that they were on the line. It doesn't matter who said what or did/didn't do what, just as long as it got straightened out. I talked to the nurse again later in the day as they didn't have his sliding scale amounts for the regular insulin in the system. That's because Connie was just leaving it up to me with what the nursing home did. So, we got all of that settled and then she was going to call ExpressScripts right then. Well, guess what! I had an email yesterday from ExpressScripts to call them about a problem with the prescription. It said it had been more than 24 hours since they had contacted the Dr. with no response. Now, it hadn't been 24 hours since they received the prescription. So, guess what I get to do today! They also wanted me to switch his transplant meds to save money...until I told them that the 2 most expensive ones are covered 100% by Medicare Part B under the transplant. They did not know that, so it wouldn't save us anything, it would cost us more.

I needed to go to Walmart yesterday and got Bill to go with. We also had McKenna as she was coming here for lunch (spaghetti from her church for a fundraiser). He used his walker with the oxygen attached to it and he and Kenna sat on a bench and waited for me. He did pretty good and at least got him out of the house again. 

He did bang up both arms later in the afternoon. I was busy in the kitchen feeding the animals when the mail came and when I noticed he had a skin tear on his elbow, he said that he just about fell out the front door getting the mail. I noticed last night that he had a smaller tear on the other elbow so he must have hit both of them.

I doctored our neighbor's foot Thursday. She had a skin cancer cut out and it is a pretty big area. Where it is located is not a good place for a wound vac, so they are using a wet to dry packing with an antibiotic pad. She can't see where it is clearly enough to do it herself, so they asked if I would do it. We got it done without much trouble (they gave her all the supplies, but no real instructions). The wound dr. will do it Monday and then we will do it again on Thursday. I don't know why they didn't contact Home Health to do it. They told them that insurance wouldn't cover it, but I bet Medicare would. I wanted to call Ricky to see if he was close enough to run by, but I know he couldn't dr her since she isn't a patient. But I think we did a good enough job that it will be OK.

We were going to go to Memphis today with Emily. A man from her church, who also works at our hospital, had a major heart attack Monday and he's now been told that he will need a heart transplant. The wife is in total denial about it because he was fine the day before, so it can't be as bad as they say it is. So we were going to go talk with them. He's also a smoker and a diabetic and they've told him that before he can be listed he has to be smoke free for a year. I think the criteria for Mayo is different, as long as he has quit, and continues not smoking, they will list him sooner. They do want a second opinion, but they've been told that Memphis is the best place to be. And, that may be true for their insurance. You all know my feelings about the program by now. Vanderbilt in Nashville has an excellent program, as does Little Rock. And, if insurance would approve it and pay the relocation expenses, I would prefer they go to Mayo, of course. But, we are not going today as he's going to be released this week-end and we don't want to get there and they are going through the discharge process. But, Em is going to give the wife my number and tell her to call me with any questions. So we shall see what happens.

That's all I've got for this week. It's hard to believe that June is over already. Before I'm ready summer will be over and I won't have gotten anything done on my list of things I wanted to do this summer. But, oh well, most of them will keep. Have a happy and safe 4th holiday! We have no plans and will problem just stay home and watch fireworks on TV!

No comments:

Post a Comment