Thursday, October 18, 2012

Didn't get anything posted yesterday as you can tell. I was hit with severe diahrea and vomiting Tuesday night/Wedsnesday morning. Only lasted about 5 hours, but it was 5 hours from...well, you get the picture. Plus, the fire alarm went off at 3 am for the building across from us and there were fire trucks and strobe lights, so it wasn't a pleasant night for me. Bill slept through all of it!

We did make Bill's appointments yesterday but it would have been nice to have had someone here who could have taken him instead of me! One of the big drawbacks to being here without family around! I haven't heard anything from Stephanie about the test results, but I checked his on-line account and the Prograf is within normal limits so I don't think anything will be changed. Since she knows that I look at the reports, she may have thought that I would look.

We had another fire alarm go off for another building last night, only earlier. It was one around the corner and the fire truck could not make the turn so had to back all the way down our area. It was one of those super long trucks with the high lift bucket on it. This time we could only hear the alarm if we opened the door, and, since we went to bed at 8:30 last night, it was before that.

We both apparently needed the extra sleep. I woke up about 7 and Bill woke up about 8. I know I needed the sleep because of the sleepless night on Tuesday. I've noticed, and he has too, that Bill is requiring more sleep than before. This is most likely due to the stroke since he should have a lot more energy from the transplant. We're going to start making ourselves get up earlier to see if that helps him any. He just goes from the bed to the recliner and I have to make him do anything, like his walking.

He sees Debbie tomorrow after rehab to check his balance and he hasn't done any of those exercises so it should be interesting! He also hasn't worked with his resistance bands for his arms and shoulders.

I don't know if I've said anything about this before, without going back and looking, so I'm just going to repeat it if I have. Mayo does a really good job with training caregivers, but they do have 1 drawback. They seem to forget that we have to live with the patient. It's all well and good to tell us that we can't be the "partner", but they don't have to live with and deal with the consequences. This isn't just my opinion. I've talked to some other caregivers and they are dealing with the same things. One even told me that she's been told she's NOT his mother and to stop telling him what to do! We all have gotten tired of nagging them to drink or eat or exercise. And like Bill reminds me, he's grown and has been making decisions for 69 years!

OK, all for today. I have the dishwasher going and need to buy some groceries, pick up around here, entice Bill to exercise and knit. I would like to put the knitting at the top of the list, but if I do I won't get anything else done so it will have to be my reward!

No comments:

Post a Comment