Sunday, November 17, 2019

Bill was trying to have breakfast when I got there yesterday and Amanda from cardiology was there disturbing him, along with Marcus, the nurse. Apparently they had weaned him down far enough to use a nasal cannula at some point, but as he was eating his sats dropped to 77, so they were going to put him back on a mask. I don't know if any of you have tried to eat or drink with an oxygen mask on, but picture it this way...get your food on your utensil, take the mask off without dropping your food, put the bite in your mouth, put your mask back on, chew the food...repeat. The same with drinking. Get the glass/cup in your hand, take off the mask, take a drink, put the mask back down. I think all Bill managed to eat was his Cheerios and banana. He left the eggs and sausage untouched, but I wouldn't have wanted to eat after all the messing around. At one point Marcus mentioned that they may want to move him to ICU. That did not happen. After a breathing treatment and being put on super hi-flow oxygen and mask he evened out and his sats came up to the low 90s. Bill doesn't like the hi-flow, it dries him out too much so that he wants to drink more, but he can't drink freely so it was a tough day.

He was started back on the IV antibiotic after I left Friday night. It's the same one as before. Dr. Yaranov said that his white count had already come down to 9, so the 2 infusions of Rocephin and Omnicef had started to work. We again talked about long term antibiotics and he said that was still on the table and we would all get with Dr. Threlkeld about that. They are considering using the IV steroid they used last time but the lung people had not made a decision on that either.

We also talked about the Bactrim and why he was on it and, it's so nice to say one of the Mayo names and he understand the reasoning! The Bactrim had been discontinued, but he started it immediately after we talked. 

Bill kicked me out about 3. He said I was just wasting my time sitting there and he knew there were other things I needed to be doing. I had planned on leaving about 4 anyway and I did need to go to Walmart and get gas, so I didn't argue. We still hadn't seen a lung doctor, and Stacy, the supervising nurse, said that they were also ordering an endocrinologist consult. All of these antibiotics play havoc with his sugar, along with the steroids. So they were calling Dr. Oktied. He had not come in before I left. I told Bill that if any drs. came after I was gone and needed to know something he couldn't answer he could tell them to call me. They all have my number.

Bill himself called me about 6:30 and said that they had him back on the nasal cannula using a high low one and he ate all of his dinner. He said it was a lot better. Since I didn't get any calls in the night, I guess everything went well in the night. He also said no-one else except nurses and respiratory had been in to see him.

The phone call from Dr. Threlkeld has worked miracles! I don't think he was pleased with what class of patient we were considered. I don't mean we were treated badly, but you've heard about the attitude that Dr. Edwards and 1 of his nurses had, and we were told early on that when Bill was in the hospital, we had to see the transplant lung doctors. I don't mind that group, at least they listen. Anyway, on Bill's board it shows that Dr. Shirwany is the attending physician, and we have seen Dr. Yaranov each day. He did say that Dr. Munday would be by, but Stacy also said that he wanted Dr. Shiner/Shriner from OUR lung group to see him. So, since I had also told Dr. Threlkeld who Bill's pulmonologist was, we are now getting something done. His doctor, Dr. Burbeck, doesn't round. She's in a wheelchair, and while I've seen other doctors in wheelchairs or scooters, she may also have another reason. But, at least it's the same group and they can see the notes in the office.

That's how our Saturday went. I got my shopping done, but I forgot printer ink which was one of the reasons I needed to go to Walmart and gas and was totally wiped out when I got home. I had bought some easy things to cook, mostly frozen dinners, but stopped at Taco Bell instead. And yes, Mom, our deal still holds about 1 meal of real food a day. For lunch I had country fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy and corn, and ate every bit of it. For those of you who are knew readers, after the transplant, my mom and I made a deal that I would have 1 nutritious meal a day. If that was lunch, then I could go home and eat peanut butter toast if I wanted. At the same time, if I ate a not so nutritious lunch, I had to have a decent dinner, whether it was out or home. And I have kept to that.

So, we'll see what happens this morning. I need to get moving although I don't have to leave as early today again as I will tomorrow. It was a lovely drive yesterday morning and afternoon, pretty day, lighter traffic, and a good parking spot. Hoping for that again today. Tomorrow by this time I will be on the road with all of the trucks, hoping to get a decent parking spot and fighting the early morning traffic in Memphis.

Until tomorrow, or tonight whichever I feel like doing!


No comments:

Post a Comment