Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Well, they decided not to do the bronchoscopy and it does make sense. The x-ray didn't look any different than the one done on the 21st. But, listening to his lungs, the lower lungs are clearer and all of the congestion is not in the upper airways so the bronch wouldn't have any benefit. You can tell just how congested he is by his voice. He also says that his ears are stopped up and I can tell that by the volume of the TV! They are continuing the shaky vest and after 3 tries, the order finally showed up with respiratory for a new medicine for his breathing treatments. Now the treatments are 15-20 minutes instead of 7 minutes. They are making him cough some, but he still can't get it to come out. And, part of that could just be habit now of swallowing whatever has come to the back of his throat.

He had his final IV of antibiotic today and now they are just going to watch and see if the bacteria activates again. Since they think he is aspirating some in the night, we've got to come up with something other than adding a wedge to prop him up to prevent this. We also need to, at some point, find out what we can do to keep him out of the hospital. So, some brainstorming with the drs. will have to be done before he is discharged, or he'll be right back in about 2 weeks after he comes home.

His oxygen level dropped for no reason this afternoon after his breathing treatment. When I came back from getting something for lunch his nurse told me that when she checked his oxygen, it was in the low 80s and she had to raise his flow to 10 liters before it started coming up. She left him at 7 liters when he finally got to 90%. He didn't want his lunch, but he had finished a Glucerna shake about an hour before it came, so it was understandable. We left the tray in his room in case he got hungry, but all he ate was his ice cream.

I came home really early today. We're expecting some severe weather tonight and I didn't want to be caught out on the highway in something. I just talked to Bill and he said he ate most of his supper. He said it was some kind of meat without a bone in it and some greens and chocolate pudding. So I'll have to look at his menu when I get there in the morning. He also said therapy came in and got him to his chair and watched him do his exercises. I'm not sure if he did any walking in the room or not, he was unclear about that. He just said he didn't leave the room.

His breakfast was messed up again this morning. He had exactly what he had yesterday except for the toast and he was supposed to get pancakes. They also didn't give him any coffee or milk, but did give him apple juice which really raises his blood sugar. I got him some coffee from the nutrition room and could have gotten milk if he wanted it. I should have taken away the juice, but decided to let him have it.

I think I've hit the highlights. We're getting into that holding pattern where not a lot is happening. I suppose something could be done yet with his lungs, but for now I think it's continue as is and just work on reducing his shortness of breath and his oxygen flow so that it's at a home level.

I'm glad I'm doing this tonight, now I won't have to rush around in the morning! Hope everyone has a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment