Thursday, November 21, 2019

Yesterday was one of those days when nothing much happened, but then why do I have 3 pages of notes in my little notebook? I had taken the computer yesterday to update this in real time, to save me some time in the evening/morning, but the internet is so bad I couldn't even connect to it. Or, I could connect, but a page is supposed to come up for me to agree to terms and it never did, so I couldn't go anywhere. Anyway, I tried.

Bill said he was bothered all night, but since his time perception is off most of the time, he was probably only remembering when they came to do morning labs. Yes, they do them early in the morning, but he's not on any protocol where he needs turned or checked every couple of hours so they should have left him alone most of the time.

He got into his chair for breakfast and his oxygen dropped into the 70s. His flow was on 6 which is still higher than we can do at home. Dr. Oktied came in and had adjusted his insulin yet again. I asked him about a diet change. They just have him on a healthy heart diet but not diabetic, so he was going to make that change. His breakfast was scrambled eggs, 1 turkey sausage link, a blueberry muffin, grapes, coffee, milk and 2 containers of apple juice. He didn't eat any of the grapes, ate at least 1/2 the muffin, a couple of bites of eggs and about 1/2 the sausage link. But he drank all of the juice, the milk and the coffee. So, I think they will change things to sugar free, and restrict some things now. 

 The lung team has ruled out a bronchoscopy for now. Tom said that when looking at his newest x-ray and overlaying them with the older ones, they look about the same. So, why has his breathing worsened if they are basically the same? They had ordered the percussion vest on Tuesday, and it still had not been brought in, which didn't make him happy. A shaky vest finally came about 3 and Bill hated that. It also didn't help loosen anything in his chest. He still doesn't cough anything past the top of his throat.. His nurse Lizzy brought in one of the little suction things and he would use it, when there wasn't anything in his mouth or throat, but at least he tried to use it. His breathing treatment med was also supposed to be changed and I don't think it was, so another thing for pulmonary to be upset about. I made it worse in the afternoon when I said that cardiology strongly suggested they do a bronch. They were not basing it on the x-rays, they were basing it on how he sounds. Even I can tell how junky he is. But, that really ruffled Tom's feathers. He did say that the dr. would be rounding today so I don't know when I'll be leaving the hospital, but I'm going to stay until he comes by.

Pharmacy came by and were asking about the Bactrim again. They explained again that it's not one that most people stay on forever, usually only about a year. This time though, when I explained why, they asked if they could consult with his Mayo doctors. FINALLY! Someone actually wants to consult with his doctors! I gave them Stephanie's direct number and the main number and told them to ask for the transplant cardiologist on call. Hopefully it will get straightened out.

Bill worked a little with physical therapy. He did a little walk around his bed and had to sit on the bed. He also couldn't sit long without support and his oxygen dropped again to the mid 80s, and he's just not recovering well now. His oxygen was bumped up again to 10 for a bil but they were able to get it back down to 6. When he is just sitting watching TV or working on his puzzle book, he stays in the mid-90s where he should be. But, any movement at all, even eating, he's dropping.

He also is not wanting to eat. Yesterday was spaghetti, and they put it in a n individual ramekin, about the size of what a banana split would come in. There was also a salad, some green beans, garlic bread and pudding. When I came back with my lunch, he had barely made a dent in the spaghetti, and ate a couple of bites of bread and he told me he was full. I told him he was not full and he was going to eat if it took him all afternoon. I didn't care if he ate the green beans or the salad, but he had to eat the pasta. He finally ate most of it and most of the bread and of course all of the pudding. Granted there wasn't much in his little dish. He did ask me later in the afternoon if I had any cookies in my bag and I did not, so he is feeling hungry. I don't know when/if he's been weighed, but I think I could just about reach around his ankles with 1 hand, and for those of you who know me, I have small hands. I've told him they will start using the tube to supplement his meals if he keeps losing weight, so I'm going to ask about his weight today.

That's about it. My notes were more detailed, but a lot of that was just thoughts I had at the time. You've gotten the highlights. I told him I would bring his razor today, but his beard is just about too long for it. It's going to really need trimmed first. I know Horace is off today, but maybe we'll have Caleb or Eunice and they are both good at shaves.

I just heard a few raindrops hit the window. It's going to be a rainy couple of days. Most of it is supposed to come tonight into tomorrow, but it's still not going to be pleasant driving or walking from the parking lot. But, my coat has a hood and I have my umbrella so I'll be OK, but not if I don't get a move on and get ready to go.

Talk to you tomorrow or tonight if I'm not too tired, or fielding phone calls. And, if I don't answer a call, it just means that I'm either talking to someone else, or I need the silence to decompress myself, or have some uninterrupted dinner. This is the best place to get information.

No comments:

Post a Comment