Monday, October 5, 2009

Sorry it's taken me so long to get the latest news posted. It's been a verrrrry long day. We had to be at the hospital at 5:30 this morning, and got home at 5:30 this evening.

The right heart cath went very well. The pulmonary pressure was elevated some, but it responded well to the medication and Dr. Burnett saw no reason that it would keep Bill from having the transplant.

The electrophysiology study did not go as well. This study was necessary because of the bad ventricular rhythms. Dr. Lan was hopeful that medication alone, or a shock would cause the heart to start a normal rhythm, but he discovered it was not going to be that simple. He has suggested, with Dr. Burnett agreeing, that Bill's ICD (pacemaker/diffibulator) be replaced with a bi-ventricular pacemaker. This type of pacemaker has 3 leads, 1 to the top of the heart and one on each side of the bottom. It will in effect beat for the bottom of the heart. For now, until the placement can be done, he has set this pacemaker to pace the heart instead of pacing if needed, to keep the device from firing and shocking him. He said that the positive side of this new one will be less fatigue and a little more energy.

They are going to do the implant on Oct. 29. This will mean an overnight stay in the hospital. From what I have read, and if I understood what I read, during this time Bill will move from status 1b on the transplant list to 1a and stay at that status for 30 days. This could be a blessing in disguise since it could mean that a heart will be available sooner.

That's where we are now. But, the first order of business will be a good night's sleep in our own lumpy bed with our own pillows. Bill asked me earlier this evening what my agenda was for tomorrow and I told him to sleep until I woke up, or until the phone rang. I think that I'm just tired enough tonight that I may sleep most of the night without waking up every hour or so!

So, for tonight....good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment