Sunday, October 27, 2019

I decided to update this tonight instead of the morning. I'm really tired tonight although I slept well last night and went later today and came home earlier. I guess it's just all catching up with me. Anyway, after I finish this I'm going to bed, even though 2 of my favorite shows are on tonight. I'll have to catch up with them later.

Bill said he had a bad night again last night, but I think when they come in at 3 to draw labs it makes him think they've bothered him all night. He was coughing really hard but he couldn't remember if he had had a breathing treatment. He didn't have any while I was there. I got his phone working first thing. I had Marcus take the battery out. Since my hand strength is so poor I couldn't get the back of the phone off. But taking it out worked and got it out of the endless loop it was in.

Sara, the nurse in charge, came in just after I did, and she asked if he had gotten any therapy yet. When I told her only speech on Friday, she said she would double check the orders. She's the one that put them in on Thursday night.

Dr. Yaranov is also not happy that he hadn't moved. That was the first thing he asked, if he had walked or sat in his chair. When I said no he asked if he wanted to get into his chair and since he had just told me that he was uncomfortable in the bed Caleb came to get him moved. The dr. said that his white count was almost to normal at 13. He also said his chest x-ray looked a little better. They had taken him off the Lasix because he was too dry and they re-added it today. He's getting a pretty big dose, 40 mg twice a day. Yesterday he peed a lot more than usual so he was keeping a little fluid in. He wasn't peeing a lot each time, but at least he was going.

After he was moved to the chair I pulled out my pulse oximeter to check his oxygen and he was only in the low 80s. He was laboring to breathe, even breathing through his nose. Caleb got his nurse and Marcus called the pulmonologist on call, Dr. Andrews. We hadn't see him before. He took him off prednisone and ordered Solu Medrol, an IV steroid. They also switched him from the nasal cannula to a mask since he's a mouth breather and cranked the flow back up to 9 from 3 1/2. That made a big difference and his saturation was 98 at last check before I left. But, shortly after getting the new steroid, he said he was hot and was flushed so I got Marcus and Molly and, while his blood pressure was a little high, everything else was normal, no fever. So, Dr. Andrews ordered a very cool room and they left the door open and brought in a box fan to blow on him. Now for those who know Bill, it can be 90 degrees and he's going to be covered with a blanket, so for him to say he's hot was a little concerning, which is why I got the nurse.

Now, since they have seen how he de-sats when he moves, even 3 feet, that should tell them that he needs intensive therapy. Hopefully that will start tomorrow. As I told my brother earlier, if he can't walk more than 3 feet, I can't take care of him here at home. So, we will see what tomorrow brings.

Bill actually told me that I needed to stay home because he was sure there were things here that needed to be done. I told him that there were and I was doing them a bit at a time. I actually have a load of laundry in the dryer now. I just told him that since he can't remember what the doctors say, I needed to be there.

So, with a couple of exceptions, it was a boring day. We watched monster movies all afternoon. We'll see what tomorrow brings. I will need to go early tomorrow to get a parking place if for no other reason! And now that this is updated, the coffee is made and the dryer will be fine until morning, I'm calling it a day.

Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment