Monday, October 7, 2019

I should have done this last night, but I spent most of the evening on the phone with various people.

Bill was 1000 times better yesterday when I got there. He had eaten all of his breakfast and was breathing well on cannula. He said they didn't put him back on the mask after I left, but I don't know if they did or not. Anyway, his numbers were good. His O2 was set on about 5 1/2 so they had bumped it up a little.

I asked Amanda, the cardiology nurse practitioner about the DVT and she checked with Dr. Edwards and they switched him from Lovonox shots to Eliquis. She said that in 1-2 months they would repeat the ultrasound and if the DVT was dissolved they would discontinue it. I told her when we go to Mayo and I'm going to call Stephanie today to see if they want to schedule an ultrasound while we are there or let Memphis do it.

They had discontinued his Bactrim again and when I told the nurse about it she asked Dr. Edwards about it and explained why he was on it and he agreed and if he didn't get it yesterday, he will start getting it today.

After lunch he got up and sat in the recliner. When he sat on the edge of the bed, his O2 dropped to 77, but he recovered with some deep breaths. They moved him with the Sara Steady which is a great gadget, all the patient has to do is stand on the platform, a seat closes behind them and they sit and then roll them to wherever they are supposed to be. He stayed in the chair for at least 2 hours and was in it when I left.

Khylie, the nurse yesterday, said that the blood cultures had come back and he has a form of staph. She couldn't remember the 2nd word in the name and she said it's not one they see often. But, the antibiotics are working. His white count on admission was 21.6 and yesterday it was 10.6! See, I knew 15 was not going to be a normal count. They were holding his Prograf last night as he was near the upper edge of where they want it so we'll see if that has come back down this morning to the therapeutic level.

I did leave early yesterday because weather was coming in. I got about halfway home before I hit rain and there was almost continual lightning. The rain was heavy, but not bad until about 5 miles out and then the skies just opened. I did not have to pull over as some did, maybe because I know the road, but I did have to sit in the driveway for a bit before I could get out of the car. I had wanted to stop at the store for a couple of things, but that didn't happen. And, almost as soon as I got in the house, the rain stopped! So, I ran to the store and got what I needed.

Instead of going to bed early I watched TV because one of my favorite shows was debuting and I wanted to watch it, but when we lost satellite I gave up. I didn't sleep well at all. I had two nosebleeds yesterday out of the blue, one of them in the night. And it feels like it could start again. But, maybe that feeling is because of the weather change. It's still raining and has gotten cold. At this time yesterday it was 70, today it's 58 and still raining. All of the cats were huddled under the overhang by the back door so I moved their food bowls. Hopefully they will eat there.

I've got to get moving, even though it's only 5:30. But, it's Monday, there will be more traffic and if I want to get a good parking place I've got to leave by 6. And I still need to get gas. I did not want to pump it in the rain yesterday, but since it's still raining, that is a moot point.

Hopefully we'll have as good a day as yesterday. You'll know when I know. There's still no time for discharge and Bill's already asking Dr. Edwards about it! He's to start some physical therapy this morning to strengthen him so maybe he won't get so winded when he moves.

All for now. Later everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment