Sunday, October 6, 2019

I'm trying something new this morning with this post. I posted a lot of Facebook yesterday and instead of trying to recreate it here, I'm going to try to cut and paste and then at at the end what wasn't posted. So here goes....OK, so that didn't work.

Bill was very agitated yesterday morning when I got there. The room was freezing and he was covered with a sheet and a towel. The blanket was laying beside him, don't know what that was about. Anyway he was freezing and said he hurt all over and couldn't keep his oxygen level up because he was in panic mode.

The decision was made to move him back to ICU and use a mask instead of the nasal cannula, and hope they didn't have to go to Bi-pap or vent. He was going to go to the "sicker side" since remodelling of the transplant knocked it down to 5 available rooms. I asked if I would be able to stay in there with him and they said yes I could.

Just as they were getting ready to transport, his son Joe and his wife Tina and their daughter K'zalee came! They were in from Texas for Joe to have eye surgery this week so they came by on their way home. So, while they were getting Bill settled, we went and had lunch. He was much better when we got back to the room and I knew his nurse Richie from before. A couple of others stopped in to say hi and again, can't believe how good he looks.

After the kids left we talked some about getting Dr. Edwards removed from his case and Bill decided that he was OK with the way things were right now. But if it started to go to feeding tubes and nursing homes again, he would himself make the request.

Dr. Okpor is one of the pulmonologists in our group and he is on call this week-end. He doesn't remember treating Bill with one of his last heart attacks, but I do. He's a very large black man but very knowledgeable and he made a couple of decisions that over-rode Dr. Edwards.

He ordered them to try to do a PICC line again, this time in the left arm. There had been a problem getting a line in there before but it must have just been the technician because they got this one done with no problems. Richie did tell me that the ultrasound showed a DVT (deep vein thrombosis) in the right arm and they didn't want to do anything to disturb that. I don't know what will be done about that and I forgot to ask about it because I was so surprised at Dr. Edwards when he came in.

He was a totally different person! He was personable, let me ask questions and make comments and he agreed with me on things, which is the total opposite of what it had been before. I think maybe the strange phone call had come at his suggestion and he had gotten wind that we wanted a different doctor. He explained what the CT and x-ray showed, increased area of emphysema, bronchiastasis in the mid-section and then a small pocket of lower lobe pneumonia. He did say it was going to be chronic and he would always be susceptible to it. He said they are keeping his Prograf low and it is at 5.5, just where Mayo wants it. Then he told us that Amanda would be there in the morning and he would be back in the afternoon. I was so taken aback that I didn't think about the DVT until on the way home, so that's on my list of questions for today.

He's now on 4 different antibiotics. Since they can't get a sputum culture and apparently don't want to do a bronch to get samples, they are using some hard hitting ones that they pseudomonas is susceptible to. We're all just hoping it will respond to one of them!

The put Bill back on nasal cannula so that he could eat dinner and bumped his O2 back up just a smidge so that he could eat and he was eating when I left. He had been maintaining his sats fine at the level we use at home, so we talked that we may have to start using a mask more. We have one but the last time I tried to get him to use it he threw it across the room. It does make it hard because he glasses don't sit right then. So, we'll just have to see.

 I'm tired, I will admit that and if I don't answer a phone call, think nothing of it. Not only is this physically tiring, it's emotionally draining too. I do try to keep everyone updated in some way, even it it's just by text or Facebook. And please, if you get information, pass it to others that you know need to know. And example of this is when I send a group text, my sister or brother will let my mother know. I did find out yesterday that Joe did not get the group text because he had a different phone number that I didn't have. We fixed that yesterday. So, pass the word to other family members and friends. That will take some of the burden off me.

I think that's it. It's almost time for me to head out and again I'm not even dressed yet. At least I didn't unpack my bag from yesterday so nothing much to put in it except my tablet. And again traffic should be light again this morning and easier parking than tomorrow will be. By this time tomorrow I hope to be well on my way.

All for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment