Monday, November 5, 2018

I got my wish yesterday! Bill was sitting in his chair, an empty breakfast tray on his table and he was working his new puzzle book! Looking at his face, I could tell that he finally felt better. He was still getting his potassium and it wasn't long that his antibiotic was hung, but he was aware and talkative, boy was he talkative!

With it being Sunday it was a quieter day. We asked his nurse if he could maybe try to walk a little and she agreed that she would walk with him instead of waiting for physical therapy to come in. So we decided that after lunch we would take a little stroll.

Dr. Shirwanny was the only Dr. we saw and he asked about moving around. We told him that if was day 11 and that pt had only been in twice and that we had asked about walking. He agreed that he needed to start moving. Bill said he was ready to come home and the dr. said it was getting closer.

Bill's room is in the middle of the hallway and with me following with his oxygen tank in a wheelchair and the nurse walking beside him, he walked almost to the doors to get into the unit and back to his room. By the time he got back, he was laboring some to breathe, but his oxygen only dropped to the low 80s. It started to come back up, but then he started talking about it being hard to breathe and it dropped into the upper 70s. We just told him to shut his mouth and quit talking and breathe. I finally took the oximeter off at 88 as it was now steadily climbing. So, even though he took a little while to come back up to a good saturation, he did. Part of the problem with getting winded during the walk, other than no activity for so long is that his flow was at 4. Once he was back on the room oxygen at a higher concentration, he recovered faster.

I had to leave early yesterday to meet someone to get some papers notarized. She was nice enough to come to the house after I got home. I wish I could have notarized my own signature, but that's against the rules.

I may also have to leave early today. There are storms and heavy rain forecast for about the time I would be leaving and I don't want to be on the middle of the highway should a tornado happen to drop by. I drove through heavy rain yesterday and I just don't understand drivers of light colored vehicles who don't turn their lights on in rain and fog. My car, even though it's bright red, is set for the lights to come on when the wipers are on, and I have enough sense when it's foggy to turn them off automatic and turn them on manually.

I feel rather puny today. I know I slept last night, but I feel like I didn't and I have a little nausea. My dinner is also still lingering, guess I shouldn't have cooked last night! I would really like to just stay home today, but I know that Bill needs me to be there to answer questions for him. And it would be just my luck that they will say he's discharged and I won't be there. But, soon, I won't have to go out at the crack of dawn and can stay in my pjs as long as I want!

That's it for this update. At last it's some better news!

No comments:

Post a Comment