Tuesday, November 20, 2018

The cats let me sleep until 5:45 this morning! The extra 45 minutes makes a big difference! But, today I wanted to just get up and leave early and now I'll have to push a little. 

There's no reason to go early, nothing happening that I'm aware of, I just want to catch the early drs. I missed Dr. Williams yesterday. I also didn't see Dr. Edwards or Dr. Threlkeld. I left about 5:30 and they still hadn't come in. Hopefully I can catch everyone today.

Yesterday wasn't as good a day as Sunday. Bill was doing a lot more coughing. His heart rate was up and he was throwing a lot of PVCs again. Those are the extra little heart beats we all have at times. But, he was having a lot of them and his green line wasn't nice and smooth like it had been. It had looked like what you always seen on TV on Sunday, nice and straight with that little "v" blip regularly appearing. Some of that could also have been that a lead was coming loose on his chest too. Hard to say, but it did it all day. His heart rate was in the 90s instead of the 80s and he was a little more agitated.

His oxygen level was in the mid 90s for the most part, but they still have him on a very big amount of high flow oxygen. Don't ask me what the difference is. All I know is that the tubing is a little difference. Anyway, he's at setting 12, which is just about as high as the gauge will go. They tried weaning him down and got him to 10, but then the coughing started again, so it was increased again.

His blood pressure was staying stable, without the IV drip. It did drop into the 90s but then the next check it would be back over 100 again.

The kidney dr. is pleased with his creatinine level. It was 1.5 yesterday, which is better than it's been for a long time. He still doesn't seem to have much output, but I noticed he's not drinking a lot again. And I've read that as we age, we don't feel thirsty as much so we don't drink as much. I don't know if that's true or not, but that's what I've read.

The diabetes dr. thinks he may have gotten his insulin where it will do the most good. He's getting 25 units of a slow acting insulin once a day and 7 units of fast acting before each meal. I think the fast acting can also be supplemented depending on what his reading is.

His nurse yesterday was a very sweet girl, but very shy and not as forthcoming with information. As Mary Rose said, she may be new to transplant. She did have some instructions out that she was checking, but that was a good thing. She flushed his PICC line with something, I don't remember now what it was, but it started to draw blood. So, now they can avoid sticking him anymore. His poor arms are just a mass of purple. Where the old IV was looks horrible.

So, I think that's about it. Bill wanted some "little books with stories in them from the house", but I have absolutely no idea what ones he's talking about. It's not his puzzle books, he has 2 of those with him. He kept telling me they were about the size of the puzzle books so all I can think of are the Guideposts that come. So, I've grabbed a couple of those and a VFW magazine and then a book about men of the Bible that he had that has short bios. And if that's not what he wanted I'll try again. I got a new book in a series I've read from the beginning but couldn't get past the 3rd page. I finally finished the 1st chapter last night, so maybe today I'll be able to read more. It's hard to read just sitting in a straight back chair so maybe the bedside commode will be my footrest today. It was my dining table the other day! But, ICU rooms aren't meant to accommodate visitors!

Ryan came and cleaned the gutters yesterday and maybe the lawn service will come and sweep the leaves this week and then the yard will look nice for Thanksgiving. Of course I won't be here to see it, but that's OK too, at least it will be done.

That's all I've got today, and now I've got to get a move on!

No comments:

Post a Comment