Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Today will be an interesting day, but more on that later.

Bill gave us a scare yesterday. Shortly after I got there, Christopher came in to do his vitals check and Bill's blood pressure was 87/56 and his O2 sat was 77, both extremely low. But, usually at that sat, he's gasping for air and his nailbeds are blue, so I told Christopher, who is a nursing student set to graduate in May and gonna be a real good nurse, to change fingers. Sometimes Bill's fingers stay too cold for the probe to get a pulse. It only changed a few numbers, but at least it was trending up. Christopher did say that his heart rate was fine and should have been racing if he was in distress.

His nurse, Jacinta who I adore, came in and rechecked things and his pressure had gone up to 98/54 and his O2 was in the mid 80s. But, he was up, in his chair and had eaten all of his breakfast. The respiratory therapist got a little higher reading after his breathing treatment, but I don't know what it was.

As we were sitting there watching TV as usual, Bill looked at me and said he wondered why it was hard to breathe, so I got Jacinta, and it so happened that both physical and occupational therapy were on their way in. Bill did not look as if anything were amiss so they decided that he needed to be in bed in case anything was going on. They also decided to check his pressure while he was standing. So, with a therapist assisting him in standing they checked his pressure and it dropped to 74/47. He was pale by the time they got him into bed and propped higher than he likes to be, but his pressure finally went up to 98/56 and then another check showed it was over 100, but I didn't get that one written down.

Jacinta texted Dr. Shirwanny thinking he might want to give some fluids, but since he was also coughing some, didn't want to do that. He also didn't want to give any extra IV Lasix to pull any more fluid out since he wasn't retaining any.

All of his other numbers from labwork were good. His white count is not up, his electrolytes were good, he's not retaining CO2 that would take up the airspace in his lungs, his kidney function had gotten better overnight, and his chest x-ray still looked good. There was no reason they could find for this sudden drop. Of course the drop was what sent him to the hospital in the first place.

So, now I don't know if he will be transferred to rehab today or not, if they've gotten a bed yet, or if they will need to keep him another day or two to see what happens.

And now, on to why this will be an interesting day. Some of you know that I wear a partial 4 tooth denture plate on top. Last night I bit into a piece of pizza and the 4 teeth broke off! It looked like a clean break so Emily, after she picked herself off the floor from laughing, went to Walmart to get a denture repair kit. Alas, it didn't work! Now, these are only about 20 years old so I've gotten my money's worth, but the dentist that made them, sends them off to a lab and it takes 2 weeks. So, I got online and there is Affordable Dentures in Memphis and I know where that is. It's where Bill got his dentures. But, all of their dentures look the same, same shape, size of tooth and mainly the same color. There is also Aspen Dental in Jonesboro. I've heard really good things about them. Both of these places have their own labs and can make what you need in anywhere from 45 minutes to a day, depending on what you need.

I called Bill and told him what happened and that I wouldn't be in this morning. I made a new patient appointment with Aspen for 8:15, but I'm hoping to get there shortly after they open and explain what is going on and that if they can just repair the old one I would come back to have a new one made and do whatever else they wanted done. I also need to call the case manager and explain what has happened and tell them I will be there as soon as I can, but not to discharge Bill, if that's still in the works, until I get there!

I can get to Memphis from Jonesboro without having to come back here. They've been a lovely bypass which is now I555 that connects a little more than halfway from here to Memphis. I'll just be driving an extra 100 miles or so. Good thing I filled up with gas on the way home last night!

So that's been our adventure for this time. The only comment my son made was "Sounds like you've had a helluva day"! Yes, it was! And, since the saga continues, I'll keep you posted!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment