Sunday, November 25, 2018

Yesterday was not a particularly good day. Bill was uncomfortable most of the day. He's getting a pressure sore on his tailbone from the way he sits and he just squirms in his chair and can't get comfortable. He's also getting disgusted that the therapists show up right in the middle of a meal, whether it's respiratory or physical therapy. And, when food service brings meals early it also throws off pre-meal glucose tests and other medications.

After lunch yesterday he wanted to get back into bed hoping it would be more comfortable, but when he stood up and took his 3 shuffling steps to the bed, his oxygen level dropped into the mid 70s again and his heart rate jumped to 123. He had a hard time controlling his breathing and getting his heart rate back, but Marcus talked him through it. The lung doctors came in about that time and said, again, that his xray looked better, but he still sounds crackly. 

Physical therapy came in before dinner and she wanted him to sit on the bed and do a few leg exercises, but just sitting up, his oxygen dropped to the mid 80s and stayed there, just sitting. Aside from turning the oxygen up again, he could not get it raised to even the low 90s.

 He also needed to have some iron yesterday, but that is better than needing blood again. He's only on 1 antibiotic now, in addition to the Bactrim that he always takes. I've also noticed that his admitting dr. has been changed from Dr. Edwards to Dr. Shirwanny, who is the one who has actually listened to me about the reason for the Bactrim and took the report of the transplant.

I was totally exhausted when I got home last night and ignored all phone calls, after making sure none were from Bill or the hospital. If it made anyone upset or angry, I'm sorry. I even went to bed a few minutes after 8! Still feel somewhat tired this morning, but the cats and a text woke me about 4:30. Now that the cats have been fed and have stopped fighting on top of me, they are snoozing or just laying still, and I'm wide awake! But, I would be up by this time anyway.

One thing I've noticed is that he has almost stopped using his left arm/hand for anything, especially at meals. He was trying to cut roast beef yesterday with just his fork and I had to tell him to use his other hand with the knife. He also won't use it to just steady something. This is something new, just since he's been back in the hospital. I don't know if there is something new neurological going on, or if he's just being lazy.

 So, there you have it. I'm hoping it's a better day for him today. They brought in a special pillow for his chair and a wedge for his bed that may help him rest better and feel better sitting. I've noticed that when he does try to shift his position he seems to just sit up straighter, but doesn't get the bottom half of him moved.

Happy Sunday! I hope that all of you Black Friday shoppers had a good time and got what you were looking for!


1 comment:

  1. Hope your and Bill's day goes much better today. Might want to mention that arm to the doctor?

    ReplyDelete