Thursday, November 22, 2018

Yesterday was a monumental day! Bill moved to step-down about 6:30 last night! The decision was made about lunch time, but they couldn't make it happen fast enough for me to be there. There was another patient that was also being transferred and they probably had to discharge a couple from step-down and then clean the rooms and everything else that goes with it....logistics, logistics, logistics. Anyway he called me about 6:45 and gave me his room number and I could hear Horace in the background getting all of his things arranged. I also heard Jacinta, his nurse from ICU turning him over to the other nurses.

His numbers were good for the most part yesterday. I don't know just what his oxygen flow was, but he has got to be weaned from the hi-flow oxygen before he can come home. So that's probably number 1 on the list of accomplishments. 

His hematocrit had dropped again, to the lowest it had been at 22.4 so he got another unit of blood. He's still getting IV lasix, but only once a day now I think. And I asked about the albumin and it's to make sure that too much fluid doesn't get drawn out of his body to affect his electrolytes. I asked about his potassium since that seems to be the first thing that is affected and she said it was actually high yesterday morning. Hopefully they will start trying to find where the blood is going.

I talked to Dr. Threlkeld and he has stopped the Merrem and is giving Zosyn and Zyvox. It seems like the bacteria is responding to those. I think, from prior checking, that one of those is about $4000 a bag, so I hope that's not what he will be going home with! Insurance doesn't pay for at-home antibiotics. The $700 for the Merrem was manageable, but I don't know about the other without payment arrangements! We'll cross that bridge when the time comes, not something that's happening today.

One of the social workers came in yesterday also and said that the therapists who evaluated him the day before have recommended that he go to in-patient rehab for some intense therapy after he is discharged. He and I had talked about this before and he is agreeable to it. I think it would be very beneficial to him. She asked if we had any preferences and I told her Jonesboro would be much easier for me. She knew the one that we would prefer and is making it our first choice. If they don't have a bed available at the time, they we would have to use one in Memphis. But, I told Bill that I would be there every day, just like when he was in skilled nursing. Now I have to start listing my concerns about care since he will have the PICC line and the antibiotics, plus, can they administer his transplant meds. If any of you can think of any other questions I need to ask, let me know.

I came home early yesterday only to find that the pharmacy had closed early! They are going to be closed today of course and only open 9-12 tomorrow! So, I told Bill that I won't get to the hospital tomorrow until about 10:30. I'm planning on being at the window when they open. I'll probably also swing by the bank on my way out of town too. So, leaving early to get some business done was mostly a bust, but I enjoyed my down time. I needed to do laundry and pick up around here, but I didn't. I read my new book, and played my new computer game, which I already don't like and played with the cats. I bought each of them a new bed and they both like them and slept in the last night! Mouse wants to cuddle and be on my lap this morning, making it very hard to type.

I think everyone knows what I'm thankful for this year. Just remember to cherish the time you have with your loved ones, you never know when it will end. Even if all the hospital serves for dinner is cold sandwiches, it will be a great Thanksgiving because Bill is still with me and we will be together! Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment