Sunday, December 1, 2019

I felt well enough to go to the hospital today and Bill was not having a good day. He has started coughing a lot again and said he was freezing cold. He did not have a temp, but his room was a little cool.

I noticed that he wasn't eating much, but he drank a carton of milk and all of his coffee. He's done this before and then says he's full. I gave in and gave him one of his Glucerna shakes. I talked to Dr. Yaranov and he says there's plenty of protein in those so not to worry too much about him not eating if he'll drink those.

Dr. Threlkeld said that his white count went up to over 15 yesterday, but was back down to 13 today. With his extra coughing and the white count climbing again I was actually a little surprised that they didn't order a chest xray. The lung dr. didn't seem to be too concerned about it so I don't know.

He did better eating lunch, baked chicken which is one of his favorites. It was a leg quarter so I told him he had to eat 1/2 of it. By the time I got back with my lunch he had eaten the drumstick part and part of the thigh. He did eat a few bites of mac and cheese but none of the greens. And he drank all of his tea and some water. For the man we had to force to drink before, we may have to limit him some now, although he's on a high enough dose of Lasix that it could be it's just really drying him out.

He's constipated again and after trying to go asked for an enema! The nurse said that he was the 2nd patient today to ask for one and that would probably last her for the entire year. That also had not worked before I left, but he didn't keep the water in long enough. I know, too much information. I'm hoping it did enough that he will go this evening.

He didn't want to sit in his chair, so they put the bed in chair mode. He made the comment that he should eat breakfast from his chair tomorrow, so when Ashley, the PCA came in and said she would make sure he got up tomorrow, I told her what he said, so she's going to get him into his chair before breakfast comes. I should also be there early again tomorrow so I'll remind her if she forgets.

That's really about it. Because he was having such a bad day, his sats were staying low so his oxygen was bumped up to 6, instead of down to 4 as we were all hoping. We're all hoping that he won't have to stay on the high flow, which is 6 and up, when he comes home. That would mean all new equipment (concentrator and tubing) and it would really suck down those tanks. I'll talk to Jeryn about it tomorrow when he checks in with us on supplies.

He seemed a bit better when I left this afternoon, so maybe whatever was bothering him this morning was gone. Emily did check with Dr. Yaranov about a mild anti-anxiety since he panics when he gets short of breath, but he didn't want to order anything that might suppress his breathing since it's so crazy right now anyway.

OK, I don't think there is anything else. We'll see what tomorrow brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment