Monday, December 23, 2019

I had a post already to go but the internet wouldn't cooperate and then when it did I lost the whole thing. 

Bill had a major setback today. At another 5 this morning he started calling for help saying he couldn't breathe. They tried putting him on CPAP mode on a vent and that didn't work. The tried high flow oxygen on a non-rebreather mask and that didn't work either. Dr Edwards wanted him bronched and called the doctor who happened to be the one on call the night of his last heart attack. He's told me they were going to intubate him, do the bronch and keep him on the vent for 48 hours to let him rest. 

A mucous plug had come loose and Bill couldn't get it to move out of his airway. During the bronch his blood pressure dropped so they had to start him on some meds, but it has stabilized along with his heart rate.

He's going to stay on the vent until at least Thursday and then they are going to do another bronch and hopefully extubate then. 

They also have inserted a catheter and are going to start some tube feedings tonight. The nurse just came in and said that Dr. Threlkeld is starting him on a different antibiotic. He has been on it before but it's a broad spectrum one. 

His sedation is very light and he can respond with nods and shakes and frowns. He's in mild restraints because he keeps reaching for either the catheter or the vent. Right now he seems to really be fully awake. 

I haven't decided if I'm staying tonight or not. I have enough meds with me through tomorrow morning. I just had a little nap and feel a little refreshed. The staff is keeping an eye on me as much as Bill. I've had a cry with a couple of them, but then y'all know I cry easy, especially when people are nice to me in times like this. His nurse said she must not be nice because I haven't cried with her! But she's been busy with him. 

There you have it. Hopefully this will post now. I'll update again when there's more news. I think I covered everything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment