Tuesday, December 10, 2019

It was a short day yesterday, at least for me at the hospital. The business of life had to be seen to and a couple of things were things that I had to do instead of asking or arranging for someone else to do them for me. But Bill was OK with me leaving early, even if it meant missing doctors, which I hate doing.

I asked Dr. Threlkeld about the antibiotics and hearing loss and he said that he wasn't on any that should affect his hearing. He didn't know about his other meds, but those haven't been changed for a long time. The newest one is the Eliquis and, I suppose, it could be the culprit, but haven't looked it up yet.

The GI dr. came in, I didn't see his name and he reminded me a little of Einstein, with wild hair, and he said that since it doesn't appear that there is any GI bleed that they are just going to follow from afar unless needed.

And those are the only ones I saw. Bill's hearing may have been a little better yesterday, so it may be a combination of the wax and the whoosh of the oxygen. They still keep turning it up and I have a theory on that. I ran it by Emily yesterday evening and she seemed to agree. Now, it's just getting the medical people to go against their protocol and test my theory. I did take a glove and put over the end of his suction tube. The sleeve that it goes in has disappeared and the sound of that is enough to drive someone insane, namely me! So the glove masked that some. But all of the louder, constant sounds stay close to Bill's ears so that may be the problem. Anyway,  once I got there and turned the TV volume down, he kept it lower and didn't complain that he couldn't hear it. And when he called me last night it was turned down low and it didn't seem like I needed to yell through the phone.

 That's all I've got from yesterday. I want to wait until my theory on the oxygen is tested before saying anymore. I may get told that I am not the Dr., but I am the patient's advocate (with duly signed paperwork that says I can make medical decisions on his behalf I might add) so we'll see what happens and I'll let you know in the next post.

Pete, the man who was transplanted Sunday, is now off the vent and was talking some, according to his wife. They had his door open and his room has a direct line of sight to Bill's so I was peeking in frequently yesterday. I was surprised that they kept his door open as much as they did.

Not being at the hospital felt good yesterday, even though I ran around like a crazy woman for a couple of hours after I got into town. And of course that made me feel a little guilty, but then I told myself that that was silly. Yes, Bill likes to have me there, but he also doesn't have the burden of keeping our normal lives going. So, my afternoon of freedom felt good and I knew I needed it. But, the banking got done, my car got seen to with an oil change and tire rotation and I bought myself some groceries. I actually cooked dinner for myself last night, chicken cordon bleu and a twice baked potato. Yes, they were all frozen to begin with, but it was real food and it was sooo good. I must admit I'm getting tired of carry-out, frozen dinners or pizza. And while I don't like to cook on the best days, it was nice to do.

Our weather has dropped 30 degrees from yesterday. It was 64 yesterday afternoon and it is 34 this morning. It rained a little in the night and if it does anything this morning, it's supposed to be a wintry mix so that should make for some interesting driving. It wasn't doing anything when I was out with the cats but it had rained in the night. I made the comment yesterday that God must really be testing me, Sunday dense fog with 0 visibility, yesterday gale force wind it seemed and since it was from the south, the bridge crossing the Mississippi was a little tricky since it goes east and west, and then today the possibility of black ice and snow/ice mix. But, every morning and afternoon when I leave I ask him to get me safely there and back and he hasn't failed me.

And now, this really is all I've got!

No comments:

Post a Comment