Sunday, December 8, 2019

I'm still half asleep with blurry eyes, and in a brain fog like the heavy fog outside, but I'll see if I can remember everything from yesterday without my notes.

Bill was trying to eat breakfast when I did get there yesterday. It did take me longer to go the other way and the traffic was terrible for a Saturday morning. I would hate to have to go that way during the week! Anyway, his nurse asked if I thought it would be alright to hold his tube feeding until after we saw how much he ate from his tray. She said she interrupted him eating his Cheerios and felt bad about that. That's how it was supposed to be done to start with! Of course he won't want to eat when he's just gotten his tummy full of 8 ounces of a thick supplement! But, what do I know, I'm just a wife.

Dr. Shriner from the lung group came in and said they would still like to do the VQ scan of his lungs and as a precaution he's adding heparin to his blood thinner. Now Dr. Wozniak had said before the bronch that the scan really wouldn't tell them anything new except that there were clots and he was already on blood thinners and steroids which would be the treatment of choice. So, I'm a little confused on that. He also wants him to have a hematology consult. I told him which dr. he had seen for that several years ago and he was able to access those records, so he was going to look at them. We did get a stool sample to send off to see if there was any blood but I hadn't been told any results before I left yesterday, but maybe they had gotten some results.

Dr. Edwards came in and said that as long as he was eating, the tube feeds could be stopped. He could still have the supplement shakes if he wanted them, but unless he ate less than half of his plate, he didn't need the other. He was glad to hear that. He also said that he was still dry and had put an order in for fluids and was not happy that the bag had not been hung earlier in the day. I think when he put the order in the day before when he got the fluids, it may have been dependent on lab results, but for whatever reason, it did not get done.

There was also some confusion on him getting up. Dr. Wright said, in front of me and Emily, that he wanted him UP, not putting the bed in chair position, but wanted him out of the bed and into a chair. Of course they still haven't brought another recliner in for him (my project for today) but his nurse was adamant that he was staying in bed. Dr. Edwards also wants him in the chair for meals and sitting as upright as possible. He did choke on his tea at lunch and it was bad enough that I had to get the nurse. I didn't know, since I wasn't looking at him, if he had choked on food or liquid, or just started to cough when he took a bite or drink. He said it was the tea when he could finally talk.

The had turned his oxygen back up to 14 and didn't attempt to lower it all day until the respiratory therapist dropped it to 10 after his afternoon breathing treatment. Hopefully he could maintain his sats through the night. Even though his nurse yesterday is good and we've had her before, she's not really one I'm able to talk to as freely as some of the others. So, I'll see when I get there this morning.

Bill's hearing has gotten much worse all of a sudden. Eunice, the PCA, told me when she went in to get his morning temp he had the volume set on 100! He kept turning it up during the day, but I still had to yell at him to even talk to him. He called me last night and I had to yell through the phone for him to turn the TV off and he still couldn't hear me without yelling. I thought I had all of the volumes turned to the max on his little phone, but maybe I didn't get the speaker volume. Another thing to look at today.

He had called to tell me that a doctor had come in and he wanted to tell me what he said, but by the time he could hear me, he had forgotten! He said he wanted to do a test of some kind and take him somewhere to do it. There are two choices for that, it could have been Dr. Cattou the GI doctor, who did see something in the stool sample and want to do an endoscopy, or it could have been the hematologist, but I don't see him taking him away to do something, or it could have been Dr. Shriner again to do the VQ scan. Bill does get so confused with things. Usually he just tells them they have to talk to his wife and I wish then that they would call. My number is the only one in his chart as a contact number and it's in big print on the first page (or at least it was). It could have been someone from endo about his insulin adjustments. The injections of steroids have really affected his glucose and they are having to give him more insulin. And, it could have been something else totally.

Even though it sounds like it was a very busy day, it really was rather boring. We were able to get the paperwork signed and it will be turned in tomorrow to palliative care, unless one of those drs. comes by today. But, it is signed, witnessed and legal, and I am carrying it with me in his file that I keep until it is copied.

I hadn't planned on going early this morning since it's Sunday and traffic and parking will be better, but after the phone call last night, figured I might need to go early, but we have a very dense fog, so I'm not going until daylight at least. Maybe it will start lifting when the sun comes up or it's going to be a very tense drive.

I think I got everything covered. If not I'll add it in the next update. I do have a cute little side note. I let Mouse into the back hall every evening after he eats and leave the back door, but not the security door open, and he and the outside cats talk. Usually it's just the females (he's a ladies man) and sometimes I have to go get him. But, he came in so I went to shut the doors and finish locking up and...there was my fat little possum looking in the door! The cats were sitting on the fence around the air conditioner, not in a panic, just sitting there watching him. But as soon as it saw me, it took off, probably under the house! That's as close as I've seen him to the house unless he's eating the cat food, which is what he does when they are finished.


No comments:

Post a Comment