Monday, April 6, 2020

A beautiful Sunday morning and Bill was again awake, but he was making noises! The inner collar had lost some air and when that happens, he can get sound out around it. It wasn't words but just sounds, and mostly of his passing air. He does have a lot of gas in his belly and if it isn't squeaking out around his peg tube, it's coming out in burps. 

When Mikala was doing her assessment of him she told him she needed to look at his stomach and he told her no and pulled the blanket back up! But, good nurse that she is, she went on to the next task and when she came back to that, there was no problem. It has quit leaking fluid now, so maybe what was coming out was just the fluid that had built up and was showing on the CT. 

He's very swollen all over still. They did an ultrasound late yesterday afternoon of his right leg, which is twice the size of his left leg, to see if there were any blood clots since he had been taken off Eliquis. I won't know anything about that until today.

Both arms are now weeping from the swelling, but if the fluid can get pulled off that should stop. His kidney numbers have improved enough that they are going to increase his Lasix to see if that helps. 

Dr. Threlkeld said that his albumin was a little low so I imagine he'll get some of that today if he didn't get it in the night. And, I've been wondering about the fluid he's been getting since Wednesday. He hadn't been getting any IV fluid, just the fluid from his feeding tube flushes and Dr. Edwards ordered some fluids thinking that his unresponsiveness could have been because he was dry. Not dry in the sense that he was dehydrated, but dry in his blood volume. So he's been continuous fluids since then and now I'm wondering if he's over hydrated. We'll find out when Dr. Edwards is back today.

His urine was bloody again yesterday morning. Mikala said that about 6 the night before it started turning red again. But, about 11 I looked over toward the bed and the catheter bag was on that side and the urine coming down the tubing was clear! So, it's a mystery of where the bleed may be. Is it still in the bladder and ureter? Is it just irritation from the Foley site itself, is it from the kidneys? So many questions, with no answers.

His private area was still swollen, but not as swollen as before. He does have a little skin tear on his bottom now that wasn't there before, but it's very small and treatable.

I noticed this week-end that some of the doctors who cover on week-ends don't like to make changes to the orders of the attendings. I never thought I would say the words "I'll be glad with Dr. Edwards is back", but that's what I was thinking yesterday!

This was placed at the entrance to the hospital sometime Saturday. And it does say it all. That means more to the staff, that someone paid to have this made and then installed, than to have food sent in. Not everyone gets to eat the goodies, but everyone, including the housekeepers and support staff, get to see this and get some recognition. 


When I left yesterday I told Bill I loved him and he told me he loved me too and gave me an air kiss. He got his kiss on the top of his head! It's the little things!

That's it. Hopefully we'll have another good, if boring day. At least I should have the baby afghan I'm making finished by tomorrow! The on to booties and who knows what else!

No comments:

Post a Comment