Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Yesterday again was pretty quiet. Even the whole unit was quiet and most of the rooms are full. It's just been a different atmosphere since the pandemic started.

Bill was awake and watching movies when I got there. I had put the TV on Starz Encore over the week-end after I got tired of crabbing in the Bering Sea and renovating homes. There have been some decent movies on, like Saturday Night Fever, and yesterday they seemed more geared to the child in us, except for the first one Undercover Brother. But, 2 Ice Age movies, 2 Nanny McPhee movies and a Muppet Movie rounded out my day. I don't remember what was coming on after I left, but it was another family oriented one.

Bill was also responsive and talky. He's talking so fast we can't read his lips very well and after he's finished, he clamps his mouth shut like he's just made a final pronouncement on something and he's said all he needed to say!

HIs left hand is still extremely swollen and they are keeping it elevated as much as they can. Since he's moving more, he moves it off the pillow which kind of defeats the purpose. It's also seeping blood from where the PICC line was. His right knee is also swollen, and even though it's not swollen, his right arm is weeping some and seeping blood from the site where the IV was. 

His PEG site had not drained much and Sara put a foam pad on it instead of the drain sponges hoping that it would absorb better and not stick to his skin. The only time he said anything about pain was when anyone would touch it and he really reacted to that. 

Dr. Wright changed a setting on the vent to one they don't use much. It lets the computer in the vent make decisions on how much pressure to provide for each breath. It sets a target pressure and if that pressure is exceeded, the next breath provides less pressure. Or, if the target pressure is not reached, more pressure is given for the next breath. It took him a little bit to adjust to it, but his oxygen finally started staying in the upper 90s. As Dr. Wright was leaving he just shook his head and said "The man with 9 lives". I agreed and then wondered later how many of those lives does he have left?

His urine was going from pink to orange to clear and back to orange all day. Dr. Morris said that his kidney numbers were decent and he thought that the fluctuation was all due to the heparin.

I don't know what they will do about the blood clots. They will have to come up with something before his left hand explodes from the swelling. It really does look bad.

They were going to move him to his chair after I left yesterday. They said they didn't want to do it while I was there because I lose my seat then, but the recliner is in there for the patient and not my comfort. There are 2 straight back chairs that I can use and I usually put my feet on one of them. I wouldn't want to sit in them 8 hours or so, but for a couple of hours it's OK.

So that's how our Monday went. It seemed like, now that some of the travel restrictions are being lifted, at least in Arkansas, and other states are thinking about it, people have decided to stay home! Traffic has been very light the last 2 days. I expected it to be light on Sunday, but it was also light yesterday. It was very very strange. There weren't even that many trucks. It was a little heavier, but not much, on the way home, and a bottle neck in the construction site, which was open all week-end and yesterday morning when I went through. I'm not hopeful for this morning. 

There's supposed to be rain today, mostly tonight, but some this afternoon. I'm hoping to get home before it starts as it's supposed to be heavy with severe storms possible overnight. Just what we need, more rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment