Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Not happened yesterday, which is good, I guess. It was a boring day, I think for both of us. Bill was awake and watching the history channel on finding the Lost Gold of World War II. It was rather interesting. 

He finally gave Dr. Threlkeld the thumbs up that he's been asking for all week. It was rather feeble to start with, but he did it. His left arm wasn't quite as swollen as it had been, but he's keeping his hand fisted so much that he has lines across his fingers where they've been bent.

His urine turned to complete blood with clots in the night Monday night, but it was starting to clear by mid morning. Dr. Edwards did call Dr. Greenberger, but urologists are a strange bunch from what I've been told. He still hadn't come by before I left so I don't know what was decided, if anything. It had cleared some by afternoon. The thinking now is that there is still some of the clot breaking up yet in his bladder and that is what is causing the blood, not a tear or anything.

Dr. Morris said that his creatinine was at 1 was nearly perfect. He was going to go ahead and order some Lasix to try to take some of the fluid off again. It's such a balancing act with fluids now, too much and he swells everywhere, but his urine is clear. Not enough and the swelling goes away, but the urine becomes bloody again.

Nothing from the lung group yesterday other than coming in and looking at the vent settings and leaving. They did listen to him and said that he sounded a little coarse again. He was needing suctioned some. He told me it was all in his throat, so he was coughing it up to the trach and then it was just laying on top of it. It's still all white which is good.

I did hear then say in rounds that his white count has come back down, but I don't know what it was. I wish they would put the app back to the way it was originally, where I got the results of all the tests when they were done. Now I don't get anything until discharge. I'm going to have thousands of notifications to look at after 5 months!

Dr. Muir said that his hematocrit was at 30. It had been at 31 on Monday, so the 2 units of blood did help. He said all the other labs looked good.

Cynthia from palliative care came by. We hadn't see her for quite awhile. She's immune compromised so they were keeping her in the office. She said she could hardly breathe. She had on one of the N95 masks, covered by a paper mask, covered by a cloth mask. I wouldn't be able to breathe either! She didn't stay long, was just checking in.

Bill did say that his back hurt yesterday. The way they had him propped in bed I could understand why and every time Lauren turned him, she left one pillow under his left shoulder which kept him pushed to the right side, even when she wanted him on his left side. She finally let him lay on his back and he was much perkier. He told me when he left he would consider no dancing girls or wild parties, but he couldn't guarantee there would be no shenanigans!

I had an email from Baptist that, beginning today, they are relaxing some of their protocols and allowing elective surgeries again and encouraging patients to consult with their doctors again across the Baptist group. Baptist has been much more aggressive in testing for the virus than other hospitals in the area according to Dr. Threlkeld. He said that every patient who presents at the emergency room gets tested, symptoms or not, and they still have a separate testing site set up in the employee/ER parking lot. I hope they aren't doing it just for financial reasons, although that is a major concern for hospitals. They did list the procedures that would be followed and I don't think they changed much from what they are now.

I don't know if you saw the photo/video of Mike Pence at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota not wearing a mask. His explanation was that as Vice President he's checked frequently for the virus and he's virus free. I don't know that I buy that. The test is very painful from what I've been told and I don't know why you would want to have it done frequently. He also had the attitude that as Vice President he could basically do what he wanted. He had been told by Mayo that he was to bring his own mask to the facility. At the same time, I'm disappointed with Mayo for letting him in without the mask. In my opinion, they should have insisted he wear a mask, and if he didn't have one, provide him with one. Then if he still refused, he doesn't get it. But, I guess the photo op and press coverage was more important. I do believe that it was all staged as the "patient" didn't have any equipment near for the plasma donation and I can't believe that Mayo would truly endanger patients in this way. But, that's just my opinion. I have seen some very hateful comments on any story on social media from Mayo and until an explanation is given from them, people are going to think the worst. I will still trust them. After all, they gave me 8 more years with Bill than I would have had.

That's all for this time. We had some storms in the night, it's very warm outside for this time of morning, but it should be starting to get light and it's still pitch black. Going to be a wet drive this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment