Saturday, April 18, 2020

I didn't anticipate another post tonight, but I got called to the hospital about 4 this afternoon. It's a good thing I was feeling better, although my stomach did not like the grilled cheese sandwich I fixed for lunch. 

Lizzy said that as the day went on Bill became more lethargic. They checked his blood gases and his CO2 was still high, although not as high as earlier in the week. His pH was also low so he's getting some IV bicarb to see if that will help. They changed his vent setting from volume control to pressure control and I haven't looked yet to see what the difference between the two is. 

He did wake up after I got here and talked to him, and he has moved his arms and legs and squeezed my hands. When Lizzy was giving report to Mary Claire he looked toward the doorway where they were standing, so he was tracking their voices.

Lizzy said that his PEG site was still draining, but not as much. They did do an x-ray of his stomach but it didn't show anything amiss. So, we still don't know what's going on with it.

When Mary Claire was crushing his meds, he had an episode of V-tach, which is ventricular tachycardia. That's where the heart just beats really really fast. She looked at his EKG and then drew some labs to check his electrolytes, mainly potassium and magnesium. But they were just drawn so there aren't any results yet.

His left arm is swollen again, but I haven't looked at his feet. He's got good urine output, and it looks like urine. Lizzy said it was a little pink this morning but had been clear all day. It's a little dark now, but a dark yellow, with no blood in it.

I haven't seen any doctors, and don't know if I will tonight, although Dr. Edwards could pop in at any time, I suppose. So, it may be tomorrow before I see anyone.

I am staying the night tonight. Since I got here so late, and I'm already tired from not feeling well today, I didn't relish the thought of driving home in the dark. I have enough medicine with me until Monday night if necessary. Emily is going to take care of the cats as usual and if I need her to bring all of my meds down that won't be a problem.

I did enjoy my day at home, even having to wash all the bedding. The cats liked me being home too. The front door was open and Mouse laid in the patch of sun while Cat was on top of the perch in the window, unless she was in my lap. It seemed like every time I sat down she was right there. But, that's OK, I didn't mind for the most part.

So, that's it for tonight. I'll update tomorrow whenever I know something.

No comments:

Post a Comment