Friday, April 24, 2020

Another day of a whole lot of nothing going on. Bill was sleepy most of the morning. He was awake when I got there and he was mouthing something but I couldn't make it out. All of his numbers were good and his Levofed had been turned down to 2 from 5. So, they must have been adjusting it through the night.

His belly is still draining copiously at times, which irritates where the little open sores are. The creams aren't helping a whole lot because it's still staying too moist. Even trying to hold gauze on it at the top while putting the cream on the bottom doesn't seem to work. I hope they kept it clean during the night. The Dr. said that until we get the final lab results to see what is actually growing, we have to just keep treating as is. He did say that the tube may have to be changed again if it doesn't stop.

I had a thought on the way home about all of this, brought about by our friend Pete having to be readmitted to have his gall bladder removed. When they did the original ultrasound before the tube was replaced initially, when he was vomiting, one thing Dr. Edwards was concerned about was his gall bladder. The Ultrasound did show fluid in the stomach, whether it was actually in the stomach or the abdominal cavity is unclear to me, Dr. Nara said stomach after she quickly glanced at the report. I remember when my gall bladder was inflamed before having it removed and I would vomit a lot. Also, what is draining is just bile, no formula which has been increased, so my question is...could the gall bladder have something to do with this drainage and it has nothing at all to do with the feeding tube at all? I'll have to ask that today.

I saw no pulmonologist yesterday at all and the other doctors and practitioners are wanting to know if they are going to put him back on trach collar. My standard answer now is I haven't seen anyone from pulmonology yet, along with they haven't said one way or the other.

His urine was finally clear again yesterday and his kidney numbers are fluctuating, but not enough to really concern Dr. Morris. They can be controlled with more/less fluid or more/less lasix.

HIs nurse put in a call to the urologist since it has been at least 3 weeks since they removed the clot and she's getting concerned that the Foley has been in too long, since this is a bigger one to accommodate the tubing from the flush. She had not heard back so she asked Dr. Edwards if he would call. The order only said to run a slow flush.

Dr. Mullinax from palliative care came by. He said every time he had come when I wasn't there Bill always indicated that he wasn't in any pain. I told him that I also ask if he's ready to call it quits on all the treatments and he always says no. So, in Bill's time, and God's time, we keep moving along.

Joseph, one of the chaplains, came by while I ran to the bathroom and had prayer with Bill. We talked for just a minute and he said I'm the true hero in all of this. Of course I immediately disagreed and he then compared me to the wife in Proverbs. Again, I don't see what I do as anything special.

Bill was more awake in the afternoon, so I don't know if he just didn't sleep much in the night, they did leave the TV on again, but he was getting sleepy when I was leaving. Maybe he slept last night and will be awake more. Dr. Threlkeld did say that when he has a really good day like he did Tuesday, then it takes him a day or two to recover. 

That's about it. I was going to make a sign to put up for him tomorrow to let him know I'm taking the cats in the morning to get some allergy shots and flea treatment. The vet opens at 8 and I'm planning on being the first one in the door, if possible. But, I didn't get it done. I was really tired for some reason last night so just sat and did nothing.

I'll let you know how today goes. Oh yeah, therapy did come by yesterday and they did just a few exercises and then he sat on the edge of the bed for about a minute. Even if all they do is range of motion it will help. OK, now that's really it!

No comments:

Post a Comment