Thursday, April 30, 2020

Of the current string of good days, yesterday was the best so far. Although Bill was still sleeping when I got there, when he did wake up he was fully there. He interacted with me and the nurse, but also with the doctors, answering questions and shaking hands and giving thumbs up and wiggling his toes.

Dr. Edwards decided to again try the heparin to dissolve the blood clots and to prevent any further development. Not only did he order it by IV, he also got a bolus shot to begin with. The agreement made with the urologist was that if his urine became bloody again, they would stop the heparin and the urologist would have to go in and do more work to find out where the blood was coming from. But, he said the benefits outweighed the risks. So, a close eye is being kept on his urine. And all day, it was, not clear, but not pink. It was just dark and looked very concentrated. So, we'll see what happened overnight.

Dr. Edwards also asked about him being in the chair. I told him he did not get up Tuesday, and I have told the nurses that any time they want him out of bed to just say so. Just because I sit in the recliner while he's in bed doesn't mean I won't move. So, yesterday morning Molly got him into the chair. And it is quite a production. The room has to be rearranged so that the chair can be on the opposite side closer to the vent and the IV pole. But, it was managed and at 10 he was sitting in the recliner, holding his head high and watching TV. And he stayed there for 5 hours! We watched TV, Forged in Fire, this time, and he watched everyone in the hallway because he had a perfect view out the door. He did not nap any and he was, as Mary Rose put it, he was there! For a man who was supposed to be dead 6 weeks ago, he looks pretty good.

Dr. Morris said that everything looked good. He asked about trach collar again and there is still no decision on that. The pulmonologist, Dr. Curry, has yet to come into the room and actually examine him and the fellow he has working with him just comes in and looks at the vent. I think Dr. Curry did ask Mike from respiratory about it and he just looked at me for the last time he had been in a breathing trial. I explained about the last one and said that if they wanted to try again I would talk him through it. Mike knows that works with Bill, but nothing was changed.

Bill has had to be suctioned quite a bit lately, but it is still white to clear normal mucus. Dr. Threlkeld is not concenrned with it and he's really pleased at the progress he's made in the last week.

That's pretty much it. A nice boring good day. Hopefully since he was awake so long without a nap yesterday he slept last night, although the report I got yesterday morning said that he slept most of the night Tuesday night. He would not agree to no wild parties or dancing girls when I left, and definitely said he couldn't promise any shenanigans, but he would try to behave himself!

I took this picture of him after he was settiled in the chair, and he would not smile. He had just grinned at Molly, but would not smile for me, so he looks grumpy in the picture.

Londyn, the PICC nurse, came by to check on him yesterday morning. She said she got a little scared when he didn't show up on her list of dressing changes again. She was glad to see him in the chair, too.

All for this morning. I woke up with another sinus headache. This weather is killing me, in the 80s one day and the 60s the next. I need a coat of some kind in the morning, but not in the afternoon when I leave. We're supposed to have a good run of weather coming up so maybe these sinuses will settle down. But, I'm dragging some this morning and really don't want to get dressed. The cats are even dragging, they're being nice and quiet. I had to get the water bottle after Cat last night and she is never the bad one. I also had to push Mouse off my lap last night for using my legs as his ladder to climb.

Hope everyone has a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment