Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Bill was totally out of control today, all because he did he didn't want to take a shower, going so far as to swat at his nurse and tell her to get her hands off of him. He was also swearing at both the nurse and his CNA. I told him he was stinky since he hadn't had a shower since Thursday. He only gets a shower 3 times a week and he refused to shower Saturday. This time I got in his face and told him that his behavior was unacceptable and he was acting like the other resident who was so nasty to the staff and other residents and family members. He grudgingly apologized and did shower but he refused all therapy. And of course I am the bad guy again, keeping him there with no money or ID so that he's a prisoner.

This time I decided not to let the behavior go and let him see how his behavior affected other people. Of course the staff can't be stern with him so I was and after a while he agreed to go to therapy. During that time I did some checking and he had not had anything to drink except for 2 cups of coffee since last night, so he was under-hydrated again. But, he wouldn't hear that he needed to drink. The CNA also suggested that he be checked for another UTI. The nurses and therapists think it's because he feels so much better and wants to be more independent. We all understand that, it's getting him to understand that his safety is the main concern.

One of the sticking points has been that I leave in the evenings, even going so far as to accuse me of meeting my boyfriend. I told him today that if it would make him feel better, I would not come in the mornings when he is so busy with therapy and then I would spend the afternoon and evening with him. That didn't satisfy him either so I asked him if he just wanted me to stay away and not come at all. That led to more accusations, I was selling the house and keeping all the money and not telling him.

We talked to the dietician this afternoon and she said that if he can get his weight to 145 she would ok taking out the feeding tube. They will weigh him tomorrow. He was last weighed Saturday and I think he was at 142.8. Of course, with all the problems over the week-end it was understandable that it would be down. After talking to Karen, he really perked up and ate all of his dinner, 2 packages of peanut butter crackers, 2 small bags of Cheez-it crackers and a cherry turnover. He also drank a coke, glass of tea and 2 bottles of water! I talked to Stephanie to see who to talk to about having it removed and she said she thought it could be done bedside and we wouldn't need to make a trip to Mayo for it. But, she wasn't sure so she'll let me know tomorrow. I had decided to not go tomorrow morning since I do have some errands to take care of but since they are going to weigh him early, I will go and then maybe leave to get my stuff done.

He tried to guilt me into staying this evening, but it didn't work. He called about an hour ago and the change in him was amazing. He also admitted that he had "screwed up" today! It was actually nice to be able to talk about it rationally for once. But, who knows how long, if at all it will be remembered. I guess we shall see in the morning.

Even though I'm emotionallly drained. I don't feel as desolate as over the week-end. Maybe it was not holding back in front of him that made the difference, or it could be the Xanax I took throughout the day! Of course that goes completely against my nature, and I think I channeled my grandfather, so family, you know who I'm talking about! I wasn't quite that bad, but I didn't just sit and take it today.

So, it's late, I'm tired and I'll let you know what his weight was.

No comments:

Post a Comment