Monday, August 20, 2012

We're going out the same way we came in...arguing about meds! Bill did not get his Prograf and Cellcept before dinner this evening. The med nurse was not someone I was familiar with, and after 10 weeks I know most of them. When I questioned her she said they were either given before she came on or they weren't supposed to be given. I made her pull his paper chart and the order was written for them to be held this morning for the biopsy, but nothing was written for them to be re-started! She was going to call the nursing home dr. but I told her he wasn't following him for those meds and to call the transplant cardiologist on call and gave her the number. She got Dr. Hosenpud and said that I was concerned about the drugs not being restarted and he told her to restart them per the previous order for biopsy.

The thing that is really disturbing is that the nurse who wrote the order is one of Bill's regular nurses and this is the 4th biopsy he has had since he's been there. He got his Prograf before I left and she was going to check the timing on the Cellcept because she said he got it at 9. I told her he was supposed to get it before he ate so she was going to check on it.

The biopsy went well today. He used his walker instead of a wheelchair which impressed them. Of course we won't have the results until tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully the Prednisone will get cut another 5 mg which puts us a step closer to home. Dr. Yip asked about going home and I told him that Tina and I had talked about that before and December would put him 2 months out with no Prednisone if the taper schedule continued as it has been. He thought about it and did some calculating and agreed that it is do-able.
We would have to come back in February and then probably not until May and then he may be on a yearly schedule.

Bill has finished all of his therapy and I have discharge notes for PT and speech. I'm to give them to rehab at Mayo to continue outpatient with them. It's going to be bittersweet leaving tomorrow. There are a few people I'm truly going to miss and it will be hard to say good-bye to them. There are also a couple of other residents that we will miss.

On a happier note, we met our youngest grandchild today and he is a sweetie. He talked and laughed and played on Grandpa's blanket he knotted in therapy. He also took a ride in Grandpa's wheelchair. We're hoping to go to the beach tomorrow after we get out so that Bill can walk on the pier again and then have some lunch. The pier depends on the weather, 70% chance of rain so I don't know that we will get there.

All for now, I'll let you know the biopsy results tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment