Friday, August 10, 2012

I thought yesterday was going to be another bad day when Bill called at 4:15 am, again complaining about not having his wallet and credit cards. The nurse told me when I got there that he had been up and dressed since 5 and then got mad when it was time for meds. The night nurse also told him, in my presence, that she trusts me and he should too.

We managed to get to Mayo and get the bloodwork done without killing each other and after breakfast he calmed down some. As soon as he got back they whisked him away to therapy so he didn't have any time to brood about things again.

He was fine in the afternoon except for a few times we he started to bring it up again. I told him they day we walk out of there for good I will hand him his wallet, with everything in it. That seemed to make him feel better At least this time I wasn't plotting to sell everything!

The paperwork has been signed for the gtube removal and Stephanie is trying to get it on the radiology schedule. She would like to have it done on a day we are already at Mayo but we don't have another appointment until the 15th and then again on the 20th, so maybe she will just take the first available day. And, speaking of the 20th, that may be discharge day, or right around there. I have heard them say the 20th, but we don't want to say anything to Bill in case it gets pushed back a day or two.

A new concern to deal with now is driving. He is determined that he is going to drive HIS car when we get home. It's a good thing that we've always had an informal use of cars. If we're in his, he drives and in mine, I drive. And, thankfully, we are in my car here! I talked to his therapists about it yesterday and they have talked to him about it. We've comprised, Bill and I, and will let Dr. Yip make the final decision. I asked him how he would feel if he was driving with McKenna in the car and he had an accident and that seemed to help, although he says we'll just have to sell the car. I told him he'll just sit on the other side!

I've taken the morning off to get my oil changed and relax a little. This has been a very stressful week again. I told him that I wasn't coming this morning but I would stay later in the evening and have supper with him tonight. I also told our housekeeper and asked her to tell Lisa this morning. She said she would also remind Bill if he forgot. He seemed OK with the idea. And, shortly after the time I usually get up, 2 delayed text messages came through, so I didn't get to sleep in any. But, I feel rested and have laundry in both the washer and dryer and picked up the place some. It feels good not to have to get up and out and it will feel really good when Bill gets home and that becomes a more normal thing. Of course we will probably be bored pretty quickly!

I found a book on line, written by an attorney who had a stroke at a very young age. After he completed his rehab and was told he wouldn't progress any farther, he decided to prove them wrong. He's now a practicing attorney and wrote this workbook to help others recover on their own. I'm going to stop by Barnes and Noble while I'm out to see if they have it. Bill said he thought he would like that since he had said he needed to write things down to help him remember things. There were also a couple of books to help me deal with him. Caregiving for the LVAD/transplant is a piece of cake compare to stroke caregiving!


No comments:

Post a Comment