Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Here's the news we've all been waiting for....the gtube comes out tomorrow and he will be discharged next Tuesday from the skilled nursing center! Of course we still have to stay in Florida for a while for biopsies, but we are climbing out of the valley!

Had a really good day today, not including the news about discharge. Bill was in a very good mood although he was a little confused off and on. He was also confused last night and called me to tell me he lost a pair of shoes. It turned out that he thought he had more shoes there than he did so he thought a pair was missing.

I had several conversations today with therapists, our coordinator and the specialty pharmacy. We have to have his anti-rejection meds in hand before we can leave the facility. They will be delivered Thursday and I cannot open them until I meet with Stephanie on Friday to go over all of them with her.

So we are having a few busy days now. Tomorrow is an EKG, followed by the surgeon to check his leg and then the tube removal. Bill thinks that he will have to stay in the hospital, but the procedure only takes a couple of minutes. Then, Thursday I will stay at home until the drugs come, but it will be a productive day making sure that the condo is ready for him to come home. Friday will be the meeting with Stephanie and paperwork for discharge. Either Sunday or Monday Mary Rose, Jack and William will be here, Monday is biopsy day and last day of in-patient therapy and then home on Tuesday. I'm going to start bring things home now. There isn't much to pack up, but more than clothes now.

So, a new phase will begin now. We don't know what the next steps will be, as far as the transplant goes now. The therapists have recommended that he continue outpatient therapy so that has to be set up also. It's also a little scary that we will be on our own. I'm not concerned about the transplant aspect. That is mostly common sense and making sure his meds are taken on time (and I can do a better job than has been done at times as you know by now)! But, the day to day of stroke recovery is uncharted waters for us. So, I'm reading everything I can get my hands on and consulting online support groups. So, if any of you reading this have had any experience with living with a stroke patient, or caregiving for a stroke patient, all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not taking my computer with me tomorrow so you won't get real-time updates on the procedure. Some of you may get text messages, but rest assured that I will update this tomorrow night as soon as I get home. Again, thanks for being with us on this journey...and continue to follow the new route we are taking! We can definitely use the support!

No comments:

Post a Comment