Saturday, August 4, 2012

We've had a couple of down days now. Bill's had a little tummy problem since Thursday. They called the dr. to see if there was anything he could take and they wanted 2 stool samples today and tomorrow before they would give him anything. We understand the concept, they want to see if there is any bacteria because if there is they want it to get completely out of his system. But that doesn't help him feel better. This morning he went to the bathroom 6 times in 3 hours, along with stomach cramps. He finally kept some crackers and coke in after lunch, but started having cramps again after getting his afternoon Ensure. I'm thinking it's more his meds since diahrea and cramps are side effects of nearly all of them. And, combined with his stomach learning how to digest food again, he's been pretty miserable.

The evil Bill tried to show up this afternoon and I realized what may be causing this because it hasn't happened for a couple of weeks now. He has not been drinking the last couple of days so he was dry. Not dehydrated, but his veins were dry which means his blood volume was not what it should be. His speech was a little slurred and he didn't look like he was "there". After I made him drink, and he kept drinking after the first sips, his eyes cleared and his speech cleared and he was more alert. This made me look back to the other times. While he was still being fed through his gtube, he got 300 ml of water flushed through every 4 hours during the night. During the day when he was not connected, he was to get 250 ml every 4 hours flushed through manually. This always bothered him to get so much fluid at one time so it wasn't always done. And, since most of these episodes were on week-ends, and the week-end staff isn't as diligent as during the week, except for 1 nurse, it's made me wonder if that wasn't the problem all along. It may not be, but who knows. So, we're really making him drink. I talked to him tonight and he said he's been drinking all evening.

Aimee, Lee and Dani left this afternoon. There are wildfires within 5 miles of their home in Oklahoma. They told Heather and John to get the animals in the truck along with anything else they could grab and get out if they were told to evacuate. We haven't heard anything from any of them since they left so hoping all are OK.

I took some time off yesterday afternoon to see what could be done with the bedroom and with just a little minor re-arranging, I think he will be able to manage his walker from his side of the bed to the bathroom. I also got the laundry caught up and did some picking up. You would think that with only 1 person here, mainly to sleep, there wouldn't be too much to do, but that wasn't the case. It actually felt good to do normal stuff!

When I got home there was a package at the door. Since my birthday is tomorrow I thought it was from my mother, but it was not. It was from the church, filled with all of my favorite things! M&Ms, jelly beans, goldfish crackers, yarn, oreos, peanut butter crackers and a gift card to Applebees! My daughter was in on this, letting them know what I liked. All I could do was sit in the middle of the floor and cry. This has always been such a loving church and I was overwhelmed! To those of you from Beacon who read this, THANK YOU! I love all of you!

My mother has also been busy. I started getting lots of birthday cards this week. It didn't surprise me too much to get them from members of her church, but then I started getting them from family members I don't hear from, and other people from "home", mostly parents of classmates and other friends of my mom's. She put out the word for a card shower and they came through. I have appreciated all of them, especially the notes that were included. Bill and I may have to make several trips to visit people so they can see how he has recovered from everything. I LOVE YOU MOM!

And, Janina, your mom sent the nicest note and card! When you talk to her tell her I really appreciate the card and the prayers.

That's what has been the most heartwarming, to hear from so many who have been praying for a man they have never met and a classmate of their child from, well, many years ago! I haven't lived where I grew up since 1973, so to be remembered now is really special. So, if any of you who sent cards read this, thanks so much. And if you know someone who sent a card but doesn't keep up with this, please pass the thanks on to them.

All for tonight. My 57th year is rapidly winding down! And what a year it's been! This time last year we were making plans for a quick trip to Illinois for Mom's birthday and then on to Mayo for the LVAD implant last September. It doesn't seem like it's been a year and at the same time it's been a lifetime. This isn't the "valley work" I would have chosen which is why we don't get to always choose our path. I have found this year just what I can handle, and I know I couldn't have done it alone. I may not understand why, but I've learned not to question. OK, enough of the philosophical stuff, Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment