Friday, May 8, 2020

Bill was awake again and alert when I got there. I told him what we found out about the little storage area and he understood. I also told him Bryan took the Thunderbird home and before I could tell him it was  to clean it up, he said "Damn". I also bit the bullet and explained to him about the discharge and having to talk to a lawyer about a trust to get him on Medicaid, and he said he understood about that, too. He also knew, when Bryan called about where we bought the tires for the car, and told me where. It was as good a day mentally as he has had in a very long time.

The bacteria that is growing in his lungs is not the pseudomonas that has been present before. It is something new. It may be in the same family of bacteria, but Dr. Threlkeld is researching antibiotics to see what it responds to and if that needs to be changed. He hadn't made a decision before I left, so he was on the same one he had had before.

The lung doctor wanted to try CPAP again for an hour, and again he didn't last very long. He said his chest hurt. Of course his chest hurts. He hasn't used his lungs on his own for a very long time now. So, maybe we'll try again tomorrow. And I think I'm going to suggest it be done later in the afternoon instead of first thing in the morning. There is so much going on then with meds and doctors and breathing treatments. He's always a little more on alert in the mornings, but more relaxed in the afternoons.

We noticed that his urine had pinked up a little. It wasn't actually pink or red, but just a little "peach". When the nurse told Dr. Morris, he said we are going to will it away! He's put him on pill form of Lasix twice a day instead of the IV Lasix. Of course it will get pushed through his tube.

He sat in his chair again for 2 hours, and Stacy told me had stayed in it almost 3 hours the day before when I left early! We just sat and watched TV and wiped his nose. It has started with the same nasal drip he has at home, even with using his allergy meds. We finally got some more tissues in the room and I put the open box on the bed so that he could do it himself. He was using his arms really well, raising them and touching his nose and his ear when they asked him and spontaneously pushing his glasses up. But, he was really only using his right hand and not the left. It is still really swollen. His legs weren't as bad, but they are also still swollen. And I noticed that the skin on the back of his right hand is all peeling. I don't yet know what is causing that.

I was a bad girl yesterday, and may be bad again today. I gave Bill a little taste of frosting from my cake yesterday. That's the first time I've broken the rules as far as food and drink go. It wasn't even as much as you would give a baby on your finger, but it was enough for him to lick off and taste. Maybe today I'll pick up a piece of chocolate cake and let him try that icing. I'm not going to give him any real food, but a little lick of icing shouldn't hurt.

I thought I was going to have some good news about the Medicaid situation, but we're back to square one. I did talk to an attorney who specializes in Elder Care, but all he was mainly concerned about was finding a place for him, not in trying to protect our assets as much as possible, just finding a place. He said the continuing care hospital in Jonesboro wasn't going to be an option but he didn't elaborate on why. He didn't even know the place was there! He did say that since Bill has been in the hospital for nearly 6 months now he qualifies as a Tennessee resident and we need to go through Tennessee Medicaid instead of Arkansas. He said the closest place in Arkansas for vent patients is in Little Rock which is 3 hours away. So, today I'm talking to the Social Worker in the Restorative Care Unit for some advice and then doing some more research. This lawyer did give me the name of a lawyer in Memphis that he recommends for this, but I think I'm going to look more than just take his word for it. He did say there was a place in Collierville, TN, which is a suburb of Memphis so it would still be about the same drive as I'm doing now. I was discouraged enough that I just about said forget it, I'll just bring him home and hire a live-in nurse! So, the laptop goes to the hospital today, hopefully it will work, and I'll be able to get somewhere in this process.

I also tried to get a dumpster delivered to the house so that Ryan and Kayden can start tearing out that room, but couldn't get anyone to answer the phone, and there was no way to leave a message. If they don't answer again today, I'll see if there's another company in town who does them. 

So, I think that's everything. I did take a lot of notes yesterday about Bill, and I haven't looked at them, but I think this is everything. Oh, I did forget! Yesterday was 2 months since we called the family in to say good-bye! As Dr. Wright said, he's the man with 9 lives!

I can hear it raining again and it sounds like it's coming down pretty good. I can tell a front is coming, or has come through. My sinuses are really going crazy this morning! I'll keep you posted if I find out anything today!

No comments:

Post a Comment