Sunday, May 3, 2020

Not much happened after the last post. Dr. Raiford (I think and my notebook is across the room) came by from urology and had the catheter inserted by the time I walked down the hall to the bathroom, did my thing, and walked back. Bill was none the worse for wear and Mikaila said he had no problems at all. He had her bring in a huge cart, like a big tool box with drawers, of supplies, and the only thing that was needed was a pair of sterile gloves, and those were in Bill's supply cabinet anyway! But, it was done and he was putting out lovely yellow urine, and continue to do so all day.

The Kexalate had not worked by the time I left, although he was getting a little stinky. It also produces a lot of gas. When the smelly part started I asked if I could look and he vocally said no and pushed my hand away! He had not gone, but a bit later Mikaila came in and said she needed to check his catheter to make sure it was clean, and she checked then. There was still nothing so I bet night shift didn't have a quiet night!

He did not get into the chair since they were waiting for that to work. He did still sleep most of the day, but he would wake up and respond when necessary. He also would wake up and ignore you (me and Mikaila) when he wanted to. Dr. Morris said that his kidney function is within normal limits now and he wanted more labs drawn to check enzymes again. But, since the medicine had not worked they were probably worse instead of better.

Mikaila did say that in the night his sugar dropped to 60 so he got a little boost of dextrose IV and it came up to the 1teens. Dr. Oktied also came in the night (I guess he's a night owl and will sometimes round at 2 in the morning) and lowered one of his insulins. He does keep a very close watch on the levels.

Dr. Nowak, who is covering for Dr. Threlkeld this week-end, started the antibiotics again. She said his white count had gone way down again, to 3, but was at 11 yesterday. And since the secretions had thickened and changed color, it was more than likely the infection was starting again.

That's it as far as I know. I left shortly after the stinkies started, but it was my usual time to leave. Oh yeah, the part that malfunctioned during the scope is the only one in the entire hospital! So, we don't know now if it will be repeated or not. But, since the bleeding seems to have stopped maybe it won't be necessary.

Today is the 8th anniversary of Bill's transplant. By this time of the morning, I knew that the heart had arrived, but I didn't know anything else for another 2 hours how things had gone so wrong. But, I've had him for 8 years longer than I would have and for that I'm eternally gratefully.

Cat is on my lap which makes this very hard to do. But, since I've said everything that needs said, I think, I'll end this here. Have a great Sunday everyone! We're supposed to get storms tonight, but none are supposed to be severe. There's a lovely wind blowing this morning and it's already pretty warm. The wind would be great...if I was only at the beach in it! Oh well, one of these days!

I may go a little later this morning. I tried something new for dinner last night and I won't try it again. I ended up throwing most of it out and about 3 this morning my body decided it wanted the rest of it out. It's easing off some now so I may wait a bit longer to go. It's Sunday so traffic will still be lighter and since the doctors aren't really saying much, except for infectious disease, I probably won't miss anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment