Thursday, May 7, 2020

Bill was awake and watching the news when I got there. I reminded him that I was only going to be there until noon, and he was fine with it still. He had one of the best nurses yesterday also, so I knew he would be just fine.

He got a good bath about 10 and then into his chair about 11 and the goal was again 2 hours, but I told Stacy that if he said he was good in the chair to leave him longer. His stomach looks so much better and it has finally started to heal and close around the site. It's still tender to him but I don't know if it is tender because the skin is still so irritated, or if it's tender on the inside. But, he flinches every time it is touched.

He's still pretty edemous (swollen). But, it moves around, which is the real mystery. His privates are swollen and still his upper legs, but now his right foot, even with the vibration things on his calves, and his left arm. The arm looked awfully red and angry to me yesterday morning, but it wasn't warm to the touch.

His temp has been low 98s which is still a low-grade fever for him, although I do have to keep reminding them of that. Dr. Threlkeld is the one who ordered the blood cultures, and of course there had been no results yets. But, he said he wanted to keep a close check because of his central line, and the fact that his white count went up, even on antibiotics.

He's the only doctor I saw yesterday. The lung dr. looked toward the door after going into the room next door and the other doctors usually come by in the afternoons. I know Cindy was there when I was leaving and I think Dr. Morris, but I'm not sure about him.

I talked to the social worker about transferring him again. She talked to the VA and the closest facility for vent patients that the VA contracts with is in Nashville. So I told her that was definitely not an option. I told her I'm working on the Medicaid angle, getting all the financial information together. I'm calling an elder care attorney today. I think I've got it compiled, or at least most of what will be needed. I did read on the Medicaid website that VA compensation is not considered as income when applying for Medicaid which is the bulk of Bill's income, so that was some good news. Emily said she would go with me if I want her to but I'm hoping we can do most of it over the phone.

The news on the storage room is not as good, but what I wanted to do is what has to be done. We found that there was nothing separating the siding on the house from the drywall in the room, so the area that was leaking was also running down the wall and there is a hole in it, big enough to see daylight through! Ryan and Bryan were going to at least cover the roof with a tarp last night, but then discovered that 2 of the rafters are broken and Ryan just about went through trying to get the tarp on. So, fortunately Emily and Bryan ran into some friends from church while getting the tarp and he's a contractor, so he came by and looked at it. He said it will be an easy fix, take off the siding, tear out the drywall and then take a saw and cut the ceiling and roof off. The 2 walls that will be exposes (and I don't know what's behind the drywall, can then be sided. Bryan is going to move the light switch and light and voila...a nice little access. They had discussed getting a concrete saw and cutting the storm cellar apart to try to get it out of the ground, but this will be much easier. We also found that the cellar was not sealed to the house! I was totally exhausted by the time everyone left. Misite and Joe also came by to get some paperwork notarized. I was thinking that Joe and Barb would be thinking that something happened to Bill since I was home early and all the kids were arriving! I know Joe reads this so he'll know what's going on. Ryan's coming back today to trim the hedges, finish cleaning out the gutters and then when I get home, back to cleaning out the room again. I also have to call today to get a small dumpster delivered. Emily told me not to worry about this anymore, they will take care of it. I do have some pretty good kids!

I think that covers the day. As I said, I was totally exhausted and could have gone to bed before dark, but managed to make it until about 8:30. Allergies are kicking my behind this morning and I really don't want to get dressed and get going, but I must. The cats don't know what to do with things rearranged in the dining room and all of the people running in and out yesterday.

Hopefully Bill had a good day after I left. I still haven't filled him in on what's going to happen witth the Medicaid stuff. He may just tell me to do what's best and then again, he may tell me to do nothing and just let him go. It remains to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment