Monday, February 11, 2019

Bill has been DISCHARGED! He was discharged this afternoon to skilled nursing. Almost the minute I walked in the door to his room, Kim, one of Dr. Edwards' nurse practitioners came in, practically gushing over how well he was doing and marveling that he could sit up in his bed so she could listen to him. She said she was ready to discharge if we had found a place. 
 
As I was waiting then in Pam's office while she spoke to the nursing center, Kim was in the doorway saying that he was never, ever, ever to have anything to eat or drink. I just nodded. The results of the swallow study were included in the discharge package Pam put together and when I talked to the nurse tonight she said she was giving all the information and no matter what Dr. Edwards, he would be evaluated by speech. They, I think, are going to change his feeding to bolus, which means that several times a day, he will get a can of Glucerna through his tube. That way he will feel full instead of a small continual flow through the day and night. We hadn't completely decided on how to do it.

I really like this place. The skilled nursing wing is separate from the long-term residents. There is a small private entrance that I can use and is right by Bill's room. I also saw the gym and sitting area. There is a beauty/barber shop on site so that Bill can get a haircut. There is a podiatrist that will come so that he can finally get his toenails cared for.

He has a roommate right now, a very nice younger black man. I don't know how much younger since he has grandchildren who come to visit him every night according to the nurse. He's been hospitalized in one hospital or another since Oct. 27th and has lost a leg. He praised the therapists. He said when he got there he was wearing diapers and couldn't care for himself and now he can use the bathroom and get dressed, and walk with his prosthesis. He's actually being discharged Friday!

For those of you who were going to send Bill cards, if you haven't already mailed them his new address is:

Bill Haven
St. Elizabeth's Place
3010 Middlefield Dr.
Room 505
Jonesboro, AR 72401

or, you can send it here to the house...1530 Holly St, Blytheville, AR 72315. I actually hesitated to put our home address out there, but what the heck, we're on a list somewhere! And, if you've already mailed a card, don't worry about it, the hospital will forward it to the house.

So, there you have it. Another step in his recovery and another step in getting home. I'm just glad I don't have to drive to Memphis in the morning! I can actually leave an hour later than I have been and there won't be near the same amount of traffic, so it will be easier.

I've got to take him some clothes tomorrow, although I ran to Walmart this afternoon and bought him a new robe, slippers and pajamas, along with t-shirts and socks. We're using depends for right now since he doesn't have a lot of control right now, but that will come. I also have to take some of his meds because Kim screwed up on her list of meds for the center to get and since it is liquid they won't have it for a couple of days. So, these can be crushed and pushed through his feeding tube, and I do have plenty of them!

All for tonight. I did a lot of driving in torrential rain today and I'm wiped out. From here to Jonesboro, about 50 miles, Jonesboro to Memphis, about 75 miles, back to Jonesboro and then back to Blytheville. And rain, oh my, some roads have been closed along with some schools because of flooding. The water was to the edge of the highway this morning and it's supposed to rain all night and all day tomorrow and tomorrow night and Thursday morning. So, it could get interesting trying to get around. See you tomorrow with hopefully a good update!

No comments:

Post a Comment