Sunday, February 17, 2019

Week-ends are going to be a challenge for me! Since they don't do any therapy on week-ends, has nothing to do except to watch TV...and complain about everything.

He's eating a little more at each meal, but they give so much food I think it overwhelms him just looking at the plate. Hopefully we'll see the dietician tomorrow and maybe we can request half the amount he's been getting for now. I still think he would be better off eating 6 smaller meals than the 3 main meals, and that is doable at home but probably not feasible here.

He hasn't wanted to leave his room much, and it is a little difficult since we have to switch to tank air, but we've done it a couple of times and he actually requested to leave today. So we walked around a little and then went to the dining room and he finally got a cup of coffee. He hadn't been getting any, even in the morning, so we asked if he could get one and the guy filled a cup, no questions asked. So we sat in the dining room while he had his coffee. I showed him where we were in relation to his room so maybe he can orient himself some. 

I've noticed today that he is becoming very negative about things, the chair is too hard, the room is too hot or cold, the nurses take too long to answer calls. We're going to have to talk about that some I think.

The extra lasix is not helping a lot, in my opinion. It still seems like his urine output is less than it should be with the amount of lasix he's getting, so the fluid is still building, or at least is not going away. But, they also give him lots of fluids with his meals. Breakfast wasn't too bad, a carton of milk and a glass of juice. But, lunch today he had a carton of milk and two glasses of tea. I told him when he kept saying he wasn't hungry or he was full that I was going to do what we did with the kids and not let him drink with meals. But, the speech therapist wants him to alternate food and drink so I don't know how that would work.

That's about it for today and yesterday. Tomorrow will start a big week for him with therapy every weekday and his sister and brother-in-law visiting. Emily and I have planned a little surprise birthday party for him Saturday. She's bringing a small cake or cupcakes and I'm going to see if we can use one of the small day/activity rooms. 

I'll update again tomorrow, probably at night. I have an appointment with my cardiologist tomorrow afternoon in Memphis. And here I thought I was done with trips to Memphis for a while. But it's good that Don and Shirley will be here to spend the afternoon with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment