Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Bill was still asleep when I got to the hospital yesterday, which is very rare. He either slept well, or didn't go to sleep until very late. He woke up a little after 8 and in a good mood. He had also not been put back onto the track collar for the night, but left with the trach capped on regular oxygen. 

When therapy came at 9 they were not impressed with the video of him walking. All they wanted to do again was sit and stand and Bill was not impressed and didn't work with them. He did pull himself into a sitting position on the edge of the bed practically before they were ready for him! When they moved him to his chair, which they prepared with the sling to move him back to the bed they used the stander. He wouldn't even wash his face which is all occupational therapy has him do besides comb his hair. I showed his nurse, who again was Pam, the chair and she said when it came time to move they would have him walk and pivot like they did over the week-end. He sat up for 3 1/2 hours. When therapy puts him in the chair, they never come back to take him out, yet Ellen from OT did peek into the room as she passed by in the afternoon. He was already back in bed by then and everything put back into place.

When Dr. Munday came in he was very impressed with him and said that if he continues to keep his numbers up, the trach will probably come out...Wednesday, tomorrow! He said they like to wait at least 48 - 72 hours after capping to make sure everything's going OK. I thought they would continue to reduce the cannula until it was at the smallest and then remove it, but I guess not. So, I don't think we will need to be looking at skilled nursing centers that do trach care after all. When it comes out, the hole is just covered with a bandage and it is looked at and cleaned at least every other day until the hole is small enough to cover with a bandaid. There are no stitches or anything, it is just skin that has to close. One thing he has started to complain about is his nose being dry and his left ear, which had cleared, is not full again. We mentioned this to Dr. Munday and he said he would order something for it. So, perhaps the oxygen is the culprit for all of his sinus problems in the past.

Bill did do some of his exercises on his legs yesterday and I told him that today he needs to work with therapy even if he doesn't want to. I had to remind him that the harder he worked the sooner he would get out. So we'll see what today brings with that.

I talked to the speech therapist and told her I understand that her hands were tied right now but asked if there were some little things I could be doing with him. She asked if he had been on any special diet before this and I told her no, regular diet. She still doesn't understand Dr. Edwards thinking on it. Dr. Munday was also a little flummoxed about it and said he would check, but again, it's Dr. Edwards call. I only saw one of his nurses in passing yesterday and really didn't get a chance to talk to her. I may go hunt Dr. Williams down, but I think he's off on Tuesdays. I'll see which nurse comes in this morning. If it's Monica it could be Dr. Williams coming, if it's Phillip it's Dr Fox.

Infectious Disease has ordered an inhaled antibiotic to be given during breathing treatments, but it's pretty highpowered stuff and was only going to require 2 or 3 treatments. They think that the bacteria has colonized now and become resistant to most antibiotics they can use for it. I haven't been able to find any information, in layman's terms, to be able to understand it, let alone explain it to you, just what this means. But, I'm still looking and I can ask whichever one comes in to explain it better.

That's how the day went. It was mostly quiet, but still eventful. He did call his daughter and talk to her and she was impressed with how good he sounded. Hopefully we'll have as good a day today, if not better.

My foot is a little better. I bought a brace for plantar fasciitis yesterday on my way home and put it on last night, but it didn't make any difference as far as I could tell. It didn't look the same on my foot as it did on the box picture. I think my foot is just too short. But, my heel doesn't hurt as much. I wore my new shoes yesterday with thinner socks and except for the first couple of steps, walking was much easier than it had been. But, because there is more support with these shoes than I'm used to, my calves are sore today. It's also a bad breathing day today, very warm and humid. I can tell I'll be using the inhaler today and my sinuses feel like they are pouring down my throat, which they probably are.

So, you are now up to date with the happenings with us. I need to get a move on, but sitting with another cup of coffee sounds pretty good to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment