Saturday, February 2, 2019

On my way to Memphis this morning I thought about the therapy problems. And I've run the idea of using the exercises from home health by his nurse today, who is the head nurse for the unit, and Mary Rose and we are all in agreement, that he NEEDS more therapy or he's never going to get stronger.

He was talking really well this morning and we watched old movies. After lunch Pam came in and asked if he sat in his chair yesterday and I told her no and that he needed to sit in it today. She got Walt, the respiratory therapist to help her since he was a pretty big guy and then asked how they had been moving him. I told her they were using the sling most of the time and Walt said that he thought he could take the couple of steps and pivot. So he told him to lift his legs while he was laying down and when he lifted them both at the same time to the same height, he said that he thought he could walk to the chair. So, for the first time since Dec. 1, he walked! His oxygen dropped some, but he recovered well, and since Walt was there to monitor him, he was impressed.

He stayed in the chair for 3 1/2 hours, even using the bedpan, and only got back into bed when I was getting ready to leave. He also walked back to the bed, very shakily, but walked and then sat in the perfect spot for pivoting his shoulders and legs to lay down. I told Pam I should have videoed it and she said that she and Walt were on again tomorrow so I told her I would do it tomorrow to show therapy. Pam believes that the more he is challenged, the faster he will be able to move more and strengthen his lungs more. She also thinks he needs to get out into the hallway and get a different view, even if he's in a wheelchair that he's moving with his feet. Right now that's probably a problem with the flow rate of the oxygen he's still on, but who knows.

I asked Dr. Fox and Phillip both if there was any reason that they knew that Dr. Edwards would not want any swallowing exercises done. Dr. Fox said that if he was going to aspirate, there was enough saliva in his mouth that he would aspirate that anyway. Then he said that Dr. Edwards has his own way of doing things. I did not ask Amanda, Dr. Edwards nurse practitioner. There's really only one that I would feel comfortable talking to about it. 

Mary Rose also suggested trying to catch Dr. Williams since he told me before that he can usually get Dr. Edwards to come to his way of thinking. And she said to tell Dr. Edwards nurse to tell him I need to talk to him and I can't wait until 9 or 10 at night when he rounds. I don't know if he would honor that request or just think that I'm being pushy, but it's worth a shot.

I can't talk to the speech therapist until Monday but I don't think I'll have a problem with catching her. Hopefully she's got something I can do with him.

Bill did wear his speaking cap for a few minutes this afternoon. He can only have it on under supervision right now to monitor his numbers and he definitely cannot have it on when he's going to sleep. But, maybe more time tomorrow and each day with respiratory. 

Some of the people want him to be pushed to his limit to strengthen him, and others seem to want to hold him back. Pam wasn't too impressed with the physical therapy he was getting when I told her it's just sitting on the bed and standing. But, Pam has taken the time to watch him and get to know him some. Therapy also can't push him if he says he doesn't want to do something like I can. 

So, we have a new plan and I'll either be hated by the staff, or they'll ignore me. But, like I told Pam, never underestimate a determined wife! As my sister said, today 2 steps to the chair, tomorrow the cha-cha! And then we'll move on to the tango down the hallway! I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment