Thursday, January 9, 2020

I did not make it to the hospital today. My sciatic nerve is acting up, according to the dr. this morning. I also came home early yesterday due to the pain and didn't get this updated.

It was a basically boring day yesterday. Bill did work with physical therapy and speech therapy, although a little grudgingly. He's tired of just getting to chew ice chips to show that he can swallow and his oxygen dropped when he stood up with PT so he didn't get to walk. 

This thing went totally wacky a minute ago, couldn't be operator error could it? Anyway, they were going to remove the 2 sutures holding in his trach collar. We noticed it was bleeding some after his inner cannula was changed yesterday morning, so it's gotten pulled probably and irritated. But, it's been long enough that they could come out.

His x-ray didn't show any changes or mucus plugs that could have caused his episode the other day so they think it was just the infection acting up again. He hasn't had to be bronched since Tuesday I think, unless something happened today and they just didn't call me. 

The plan is still to move him to Restorative Care when he can maintain his sats on 40% concentration for a couple of days. So far he hasn't been able to do it for more than a couple of hours, and if he does any moving, his sats bottom out. 

I am planning on going to the hospital tomorrow. The meds the dr. gave me have worked to keep the pain at bay. I was using Bill's walker for awhile, but Brianna got me a cane today and that works better. I'm going to valet park so that I will not have to walk up the hill from the parking lot. I'll be right at the door. The dr. knew without me explaining anything that I was hurting from all the driving, walking and sitting in bad chairs for hours. We have a couple of those rubbery cushions they show on TV where you can sit on an egg and not break it. I may take one of those in to see if that makes a difference. They are both in the car anyway with Bill's wheelchair.

So, that's it. I do feel a little guilty that I have enjoyed the afternoon at home doing nothing. I can't say it was the day at home since the entire morning was spent at the dr. But, it was nice to just be home. I know that Bill was well taken care of, his nurse today was one of the best ones and a favorite of both of us, so that made me feel much better.

The weather is going to be horrid the next few days so I don't know if I'll take this with me, especially with having the cane. I need to practice walking with the cane and pulling my backpack before I make a final decision.

All for tonight. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment