Monday, January 20, 2020

It was a pretty normal day today, but things did happen. The vent is now set on 8. Bill told me several times it was hard to breathe. I had to remind him that he had to do more breathing since the machine was doing as much. His trach is also leaking around the inner cannula, which allows air to escape and it does affect his breathing. That's also what lets him talk.

He saw Occupational Therapy today and she's going to work more on his shoulders and arms until he's off the vent and able to sit on the side of the bed easier. He also saw Speech and did a lot of swallowing exercises and got a few ice chips. He did not see Physical Therapy and didn't get into his chair today. Part of that is my fault. I wasn't feeling up to par and didn't push it with his nurse. And of course he was perfectly content to lay in bed and watch Andy Griffith!

They are continuing the antibiotics for a few more days. Dr. Edwards is apparently concerned that he still has so many secretions and he thinks he might need bronched again. But, the lung doctors don't seem to think so, or at least they haven't said. Stephanie has ordered a chest xray for tomorrow morning. She also had them put the bed in percussion mode today, so maybe they are hearing something. She said they still hadn't decided on replacing the inner cannula. And, I had the name of the doctor wrong. It's Dr. Henderson.

The dietician from ICU came by and is going to start covering Restorative Care because the usual one is retiring at the end of the week. And she didn't say anything about it when she came in last week! But, Mary was pleased with how he's doing on this formula. She said his potassium has come down and he may be able to get back to the Glucerna before long. I got the impression that even though the potassium is within normal range, it's on the high side and they would still like it a little lower. He has gained 5 pounds, or there is at least a 5 pound difference from when they weighed him in the bed when he got to the unit and when they weighed him in the sling yesterday. It could just be that there is a difference in the scale.

I got a surprise tonight when my phone rang and it showed the hospital number, but it was Bill! I don't know who dialed for him, or what phone he used. He can't reach the room phone and I don't think he could make a long distance call on it, but who knows. I guess I'll find out in the morning. He was surprising clear on the phone but he did say it was hard to talk so he needed to get off to breathe! So, I guess I'll take his cell phone back in the next few days.

Going to bed early last night didn't do me any good. I woke up every 1 1/2 hours so was still tired when I got up this morning. It is also really cold, only in the 20s and I was cold all day, even though I had on a heavy sweater and the isolation gown. I guess I was just feeling the cold air from the window at the hospital. And, my stomach rebelled with breakfast and everything else I tried to eat today. I was able to eat some dinner without any problems (so far). Emily has also had stomach issues that are about the same all day so maybe there is a little something going around.

That's about it for tonight. I wonder if I would sleep if I went to bed now. I'm sitting here rocking while I'm typing and fighting to keep my eyes open. Goodnight, whenever I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment