Thursday, January 30, 2020

There's not much I can say about yesterday except that Bill was a total ass! He started as soon as he was awake and was belligerent and mean and rude all day. He refused to participate in therapy, refused to get out of bed, refused a bath (and he hadn't had more than a quick wash-up since Saturday) and slapped people's hands away when they were only doing their jobs. You could tell by looking at him that he was just mad. He also told me was going to leave, just get out of bed and walk out, so I made sure they had his bed alarm turned on. And, I hadn't made it halfway down the hall before he had pushed his call button for the nurse.

Medically things went pretty well. He had spent 16 hours on CPAP and the goal yesterday was 18-20. I don't know if he made that because he would start breathing really fast when he was acting out. If he didn't and had to go back to vent mode sooner, how far back they will go to start over. But, when he wasn't in a state, his sats were all good.

They are going to take his PICC line out. It has been in place since November 15 and it is not being used for anything now except to draw blood, if that. That could be the only reason it would stay in, but since he's not as sick as he was, they may be able to get a good vein now for blood draws.

He did get a bath after all yesterday. He needed cleaned from a bowel movement (he refuses to use a bedpan and they won't let him use a bedside commode yet) so they snuck in a bath. He at least didn't fight them like he did the other day. I had them put his bed in chair position since he refused to get into his chair during PT. The other therapies didn't come in, that was the only one. He wasn't happy about it but he knew I was at the end of my tolerance level for that kind of behavior.

And, before any excuses are made, I know he's been through hell and back since November with people telling him what to do. I know he's had horrible things done to him and that he's been stuck in a bed in a room for 2 1/2 months. I know this, but it also doesn't give him a free pass to be mean to people, and that's just what he was, mean. I don't know if we're dealing with some roid rage again since he's on such a high dose of prednisone, but this just seems different. He said he slept all night and the night nurse reported that he did sleep well and when he was awake he was in a good mood. So, I don't know.

I do know that I was totally exhausted when I got home last night. I had had a headache all day (sinuses) and still have it today. But this one is just a stress headache. I didn't sleep well and of all the nights he could have chosen, Mouse had to choose last night to nuzzle in the middle of the night. So I had a 15 pound cat who wanted to be right under my chin at 1 am. Kitty is also following me around whenever I leave the room and is also very clingy. 

So, this one is not upbeat and happy. I suppose that progress was made yesterday in the number of hours he was on CPAP, but it was not pleasant for anyone. Hopefully it will be a better day today.


No comments:

Post a Comment