Sunday, July 22, 2012

Bill was up and dressed and ready for church by the time I got there this morning. He even had on trousers and a button down shirt instead of shorts. Lisa found a pair that the wound vac would fit through, although taking them off this evening was a chore. We had a lovely little service at the church and Bill made it through all of the hymns except How Great Thou Art. But, I saw several wiping eyes during that one.

Instead of using his wheelchair to go to the service he just used his walker and by the time we got back to his unit he was pretty tired. So, he got in his chair and we went to the TV area instead of watching TV in his room. I know he gets tired of being in there.

He asked me if I was getting hungry and I said I was thinking about running out to get something and he got very upset that WE were not going to get some lunch. And, just like that, the evil Bill showed up. He was not happy at all when I left and when I got back in less than an hour he had really worked himself into a tizzy! I am keeping him locked up there until all the money is gone and he needs to have his credit cards there in case there is something he wants to buy. He again took himself outside and Lisa went out to talk to him for a long time. She also made sure that I was OK since a lot of family members do get upset with behavior like that. And, while it does upset me, I was fine today. He finally came in and after a little while he was back to the good Bill. It seemed to work best when I told him I was not talking about certain things and then just ignored his rants so maybe that's the tactic to use, at least until that doesn't work anymore.

We ended up having a better late afternoon and he was fine when I left. We have a very early day tomorrow and I have a feeling that they are going to forget to disconnect his food at midnight and they will give him his anti-rejection meds in the morning. I reminded his nurse tonight before I left that the food was to be disconnected and that I was to take the meds with me in the morning, but, since she put the Prograf in with the other meds instead of under the tongue, I don't know if she'll remember. I think I know why they have such a hard time with that med. Even though the instructions say sublingual it's a capsule and they can't figure how to do it sublingually. However, the entire list of instructions for it say to tap the medicine into one end of the capsule and then take it apart. If they would read the entire directions they would know how to do it. And, after 6 weeks, they should know, except all of the week-end nurses are part time and only come in on week-ends. This one even said this was the first time she had worked on the rehab unit! The only saving thing about the mix-up tonight was that his food had not been disconnected so it was given on an empty stomach as it's supposed to be.

Bill has it in is mind that the biopsy is a step to getting his gtube removed, even though I have explained it to him step by step. Maybe by morning he'll understand it.

All for tonight. Since I have to be there so early in the morning I need to get to bed as soon as the laundry is done. I'll let you know how things go and what the results are. Of course we won't have them until Tuesday afternoon, but I'll let you know how the procedure goes tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment