Sunday, July 8, 2012

Well, I got called at 2:30 this morning. Bill got out of bed and pulled his IV pole over when he fell. He also hit is head, neck and back on something (my guess is the foot of the pole) so they had to call in the xray people. Shortly after I talked to his nurse his CNA called and wanted to know if I would talk to him to calm him down so I did that. He was very emotional and it took a little while but I got him to calm down some.

I did some research this morning before I left and from what I read, if he's a danger to himself we can request bedrails. The dr. has to write an order for them and he can't be confined to bed 24/7, but I think that needs to be done. When I got there this morning he said that he had messed up everyone's night so he remembered what he had done. I talked to him about the bedrail and he agreed that it might help. Most of the time when he tries to get up he's wanting to go to the bathroom and he went a lot yesterday. They were also going to check for a UTI just to make sure there wasn't an underlying problem.

We went down to the church service this morning and got through most of it before he had to use the bathroom. But this was the first time he wanted to go. It was a little tough on him when we started singing, but he handled it well. I had noticed that before when we watched services on TV. If it was a song he knew he would tear up. That's just another side effect of the stroke.

Because he was so tired he again became beligerent about eating and people not letting him do anything. He thinks that since John is coming we need to take them out to eat, which is something we would normally do with guests. That starts the whole process over of why he can't go. At one point today he unlocked his wheelchair and started wheeling himself out of the room. That is sort of a good thing. I want him to leave his room, especially if I'm not there and he is in his chair so that he may start interacting with other residents. I watched him from his doorway and he got to the middle of the hall and was stopped by a CNA. He was bringing him back to his room, but they were all glad that he was wheeling himself. The reason he took a ride was to find a cup of coffee. If I wouldn't get it for him, he was going to get it himself!

In case you've been wondering, his meds have only been late once this week and the nurse covering for the meds had to be brought down from the other floor. The unit manager was supposed to cover but she didn't. But, that's the only time they were late at night. Mornings have been fine.

So, hard day today. Hopefully tomorrow when he gets back into his normal routine he'll be better. I think it will also help him to see Johnny. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment